Paul

--
This message has been sent using kmail on gentoo.
Re: install amarok?? [ In reply to ]
On Dienstag 11 Mai 2010, Paul Stear wrote:
> Hi,
> Is it possible to emerge amarok 2.3.0.90 without reducing mysql from 5.1.46
> to 5.0.90-r2 with all the problems that would cause.
> equery d mysql shows:-
> * These packages depend on mysql:
> dev-db/mysql-5.1.46 (=virtual/mysql-5.1)
> dev-libs/apr-util-1.3.9 (mysql ? =virtual/mysql-5*)
> dev-libs/cyrus-sasl-2.1.23-r1 (mysql ? virtual/mysql)
> dev-libs/redland-1.0.10-r2 (mysql ? virtual/mysql)
> dev-perl/DBD-mysql-4.01.4 (virtual/mysql)
> virtual/mysql-5.1 (=dev-db/mysql-5.1*)
> x11-libs/qt-sql-4.6.2 (mysql ? virtual/mysql)
>
> I don't even know if I need these packages.
> How do other distributions get over this - is this just a gentoo problem?
> I remember trying to downgrade mysql when amarok stopped working and I got
> in a mess with it all so I am hesitant about trying again without some
> some knowledgeable gentooer's valuable help.
>
> Paul

other distros ship a certain set and don't let you update stuff.

Mask 5.1 and virtual 5.1
Downgrade to 5.0
rebuild all broken packages.
Re login to kde.

Install amarok.
Re: install amarok?? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
<volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Dienstag 11 Mai 2010, Paul Stear wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Is it possible to emerge amarok 2.3.0.90 without reducing mysql from 5.1.46
>> to 5.0.90-r2 with all the problems that would cause.
>> equery d mysql shows:-
>> * These packages depend on mysql:
>> dev-db/mysql-5.1.46 (=virtual/mysql-5.1)
>> dev-libs/apr-util-1.3.9 (mysql ? =virtual/mysql-5*)
>> dev-libs/cyrus-sasl-2.1.23-r1 (mysql ? virtual/mysql)
>> dev-libs/redland-1.0.10-r2 (mysql ? virtual/mysql)
>> dev-perl/DBD-mysql-4.01.4 (virtual/mysql)
>> virtual/mysql-5.1 (=dev-db/mysql-5.1*)
>> x11-libs/qt-sql-4.6.2 (mysql ? virtual/mysql)
>>
>> I don't even know if I need these packages.
>> How do other distributions get over this - is this just a gentoo problem?
>> I remember trying to downgrade mysql when amarok stopped working and I got
>> in a mess with it all so I am hesitant about trying again without some
>> some knowledgeable gentooer's valuable help.
>>
>> Paul
>
> other distros ship a certain set and don't let you update stuff.
>
> Mask 5.1 and virtual 5.1
> Downgrade to 5.0
> rebuild all broken packages.
> Re login to kde.
>
> Install amarok.

I agree. This is exactly what I did also.
Re: install amarok?? [ In reply to ]
Paul Stear <gentoo@appjaws.plus.com> skribis:
> Hi,
> Is it possible to emerge amarok 2.3.0.90 without reducing mysql from 5.1.46 to
> 5.0.90-r2 with all the problems that would cause.

Patches:
http://git.exherbo.org/?p=kde.git;a=tree;f=packages/media-sound/amarok/files
Re: install amarok?? [ In reply to ]
On 05/11/10 15:48, Paul Stear wrote:
> Hi,
> Is it possible to emerge amarok 2.3.0.90 without reducing mysql from 5.1.46 to
> 5.0.90-r2 with all the problems that would cause.
> equery d mysql shows:-
> * These packages depend on mysql:
> dev-db/mysql-5.1.46 (=virtual/mysql-5.1)
> dev-libs/apr-util-1.3.9 (mysql ? =virtual/mysql-5*)
> dev-libs/cyrus-sasl-2.1.23-r1 (mysql ? virtual/mysql)
> dev-libs/redland-1.0.10-r2 (mysql ? virtual/mysql)
> dev-perl/DBD-mysql-4.01.4 (virtual/mysql)
> virtual/mysql-5.1 (=dev-db/mysql-5.1*)
> x11-libs/qt-sql-4.6.2 (mysql ? virtual/mysql)
>
> I don't even know if I need these packages.
> How do other distributions get over this - is this just a gentoo problem?
> I remember trying to downgrade mysql when amarok stopped working and I got in a
> mess with it all so I am hesitant about trying again without some some
> knowledgeable gentooer's valuable help.
>
> Paul

maybe with a USE=-embedded ? but you have to be prepared to create the
db, tables, ...

http://amaroklive.com/wiki/MySQL_Server

Cedric
Re: install amarok?? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 12 May 2010 04:40:08 Barry Schwartz wrote:
> Paul Stear <gentoo@appjaws.plus.com> skribis:
> > Hi,
> > Is it possible to emerge amarok 2.3.0.90 without reducing mysql from
> > 5.1.46 to 5.0.90-r2 with all the problems that would cause.
>
> Patches:
> http://git.exherbo.org/?p=kde.git;a=tree;f=packages/media-sound/amarok/file
Hello Barry,
Thanks for the link. Could you explain exactly how I download and apply the
patch.
Will the ebuild for amarok-2.3.0.90 work then with mysql-5.1.46? I was under
the impression that the ebuild has a dependency of <mysql-5.1
Thanks for your help
Paul
--
This message has been sent using kmail on gentoo.
Re: install amarok?? [ In reply to ]
Paul Stear <gentoo@appjaws.plus.com> skribis:
> On Wednesday 12 May 2010 04:40:08 Barry Schwartz wrote:
> > Paul Stear <gentoo@appjaws.plus.com> skribis:
> > > Hi,
> > > Is it possible to emerge amarok 2.3.0.90 without reducing mysql from
> > > 5.1.46 to 5.0.90-r2 with all the problems that would cause.
> >
> > Patches:
> > http://git.exherbo.org/?p=kde.git;a=tree;f=packages/media-sound/amarok/file
> Hello Barry,
> Thanks for the link. Could you explain exactly how I download and apply the
> patch.
> Will the ebuild for amarok-2.3.0.90 work then with mysql-5.1.46? I was under
> the impression that the ebuild has a dependency of <mysql-5.1

Well, you have to be able to do some ebuild programming. I simply
noticed that I had mysql 5.1 and amarok installed together on my
Exherbo box and so went to see what patches were involved.

(You could try -embedded but I'm not sure that will work, because I
used to run Amarok with -embedded, because +embedded didn't work very
well for me, but I hardmasked mysql 5.1 on account of Amarok. I just
don't remember whether I did the hardmasking before or after going
with -embedded. I myself would have been reluctant to tie my software
to anything as cumbering as mysql.)
Re: install amarok?? [ In reply to ]
Barry Schwartz posted on Wed, 12 May 2010 16:18:57 -0500 as excerpted:

> [...] on account of Amarok. [...] I myself would have been reluctant
> to tie my software to anything as cumbering as mysql.

This isn't a solution for everyone, YMMV, etc, particularly for those who
actually use all the Amarok fancy features, but for me, most of them were
just bloat, and when amarok decided to go with a mysql feature that at the
time didn't even work properly on amd64, I decided it was time I find a
less bloated and complicated to keep working music player. Again, YMMV.

I ended up choosing mpd, music player daemon, here, because it has all
sorts of front ends, including command line, ncurses, gtk, qt (both 3 and
4), kde, even a web based front-end so you can control it remotely. I
didn't use all those but did merge mpc (command line), the two ncurses
frontends, and qmpdclient (qt4), as well as mpd itself. At the time I was
still running qt3/kde3, so I merged one for that too, but of course it's
now unmerged.

Basically I traded a bunch of features I didn't use anyway, plus the kde3
amarok visualizations which I still miss but which the kde4 version didn't
have at the time anyway, for a **MUCH** simpler and less troublesome to
maintain install, and a player that can be started at bootup and
controlled from the command line if desired, regardless of whether X is
running or not.

There were a couple other more traditional ncurses based players I looked
at too, with the idea of killing the X dependency. If I hadn't decided on
mpd due to its multiple front-ends, I'd have likely chosen one of those,
and simply run it from a VC or a konsole window. One of them even offered
a disconnectable control interface, so I could have started it in a
konsole window, then shut down the controller, konsole, KDE and X, and had
it still playing. That was the runner-up to mpd. But mpd by virtue of
its front-end and daemon design did that too, plus had multiple front-ends
to choose from including graphical ones if I was running X, so that's what
I chose.

So anyway, what I'm saying is that there /are/ alternatives to amarok.
They may be worth considering, particularly if you're not using all the
fancy amarok features anyway. They are CERTAINLY less complex and
therefore less trouble to keep "just working". But if you're using all
the fancy amarok features, particularly the database backed ones, it may
very well be worth the hassle of keeping it working, to continue to use
those features. Your computer, your music, your decision. =:^) Just be
aware that amarok isn't the only player out there, and don't artificially
constrain your choices. No use going to all the repeated hassle of
keeping it working, if you're not using the fancy features that make it so
complex and hard to keep working in the first place.