Mailing List Archive

More Evil from MS (fwd)
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 00:16:52 -0500
From: "(Redacted)" <(redacted)>
To: Security <Security@(redacted)>
Subject: More Evil from MS

Be sure to read the new EULA/privacy statement for Windows update, it has an
interesting portion about how Windows Update and Automatic Update (which
gets installed with SP3) can, by agreeing to this license, send the
following pieces of info to Microsoft,

"With the latest version of Windows Update (essentially a mandatory download
and now part of SP3) you consent to sending the following information to
Microsoft:

* Operating-system version number and Product Identification number
* Internet Explorer version number
* Version numbers of other software
* Plug and Play ID numbers of hardware devices

This is stated in the "Windows Update Privacy Statement" which you can read
at <http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/about.asp?> You can also
follow the "About Windows Update" link off the WindowsUpdate page.

Does the fact that this was released at nearly the same time as their "New
and improved" licensing requirements smell funny to anyone else?

There's no need to be paranoid any longer, it's been Microsoft after us all
the time!
Re: More Evil from MS (fwd) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 11:30, Alif The Terrible wrote:
> Be sure to read the new EULA/privacy statement for Windows update, it has an
> interesting portion about how Windows Update and Automatic Update (which
> gets installed with SP3) can, by agreeing to this license, send the
> following pieces of info to Microsoft,
>
> "With the latest version of Windows Update (essentially a mandatory download
> and now part of SP3) you consent to sending the following information to
> Microsoft:

on the website it also says

---
Windows Update Privacy Statement
Windows Update is committed to protecting your privacy. To provide you
with the appropriate list of updates, Windows Update must collect a
certain amount of configuration information from your computer. This
information includes:
[...]
---

"committed to protecting your privacy"...

ok I don't want to lauch false-alarms, or to be just plain "anti-m$".
but I wonder

> * Operating-system version number and Product Identification number

PIN of the OS? why is it needed for updates? maybe they "could" use it
to collect statistics about how many unique windows are updating
compared to the number of windows that are sold..

> * Version numbers of other software

other software? can I give them my gcc vesion? :)

> * Plug and Play ID numbers of hardware devices

I'm ignorant about that... perhaps they have updates for every possible
different configuration..?

> This is stated in the "Windows Update Privacy Statement" which you can read
> at <http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/about.asp?> You can also
> follow the "About Windows Update" link off the WindowsUpdate page.

note also that you cannot display that page with a non-microsoft os.
which doesn't make sense at all - such page can interest people using
unices, too..

oh well. funny.

--

lorenzo
lorenzo@muug.it
RE: More Evil from MS (fwd) [ In reply to ]
You can't even view it with a non-current MS OS? I have IE 6 and NT 4 SP6,
and get redirected to this page:

"Thank you for your interest in Windows Update

Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the
most out of your computer.

The latest version of Windows Update is only available on computers that are
running Microsoft Windows 2000 or Windows XP."