Mailing List Archive

Re: Scandal: IT Security firm hires the author of Sasser worm [ In reply to ]
On Sep 20, 2004, at 11:35 AM, Fred Newtz wrote:

>>> The penalties have to be such that one is deterred from committing
>>> a crime.
>>> Well...
>

> This has never worked before, just look at NYC and the drug laws
> there. Shoot, how come the death penalty does not deter people from
> committing murder?

No system is perfect. But if you're suggesting that no laws have any
effect at all, I think you need much broader anecdotal support.

-==-
Jack Repenning
CollabNet, Inc.
8000 Marina Boulevard, Suite 600
Brisbane, California 94005
o: +1 650.228.2562
c: +1 408.835.8090

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html
RE: Scandal: IT Security firm hires the author of Sasser worm [ In reply to ]
--On Monday, September 20, 2004 01:35:46 PM -0500 Fred Newtz
<fbnewtz@houston.rr.com> wrote:

> This has never worked before, just look at NYC and the drug laws there.
> Shoot, how come the death penalty does not deter people from committing
> murder?

If it was a deterrent, it would be called "the death deterrent". It's
called a "penalty" for a reason...

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member
http://www.utdallas.edu

Re: Scandal: IT Security firm hires the author of Sasser worm [ In reply to ]
guess they shouldnt have publicized it. ( who cares )

@stake / Symantec - business is business, Symantec is aquiring not only
tools and expertise,
but possibly more importantly a broader, richer client base. ( again, who
cares )

I do however find this interesting... the below "suggests" that a persons
and or persons affilliated
with a TROJAN coding history ( and a bad one at that ) is now ( or has
been ) working
with / for GFI.

look here:
http://s93625203.onlinehome.us/news.php

"we will see you on sub7.net...
in the not so distant future,
for new tools...
in the mean time visit www.forcedcontrol.com
and www.gfi.com for blades LanGuard"

"fc.com ( trojan ddos kiddie :ed) and its crew have finished to move onto
other
professional projects." bla bla

conclusion:
blade ( a former? virus / trojan coder ) works for and is / was a major
player for GFI.
and now ( blade / GFI ) is possibly now recruting other known viri / trojan
coders?????

research:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=blade+Languard&spell=1

www.come.to/soul4blade <---- GFI

http://www.google.com/search?q=soul4blade&btnG=Search&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&safe=off

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/virus.aspx?ID=3282
"Removal of the file and/or the registry entry will disable Blade Runner.
For further information on Blade Runner please see
http://www.come.to/soul4blade (link valid 29/03/00). "

nuff said,
m.wood

Re: Scandal: IT Security firm hires the author of Sasser worm [ In reply to ]
i wouldnt exactly call fc a 'coder'
he slaps together delphi code from other sources
and if GFI aquired him it'd create less business
knowing that he also creates backdoors within his
backdoors using masterpasswords i.e. the trojan
'infector' had the masterpass ITS_ME_FC
here's some examples of his sourcecode
http://mitglied.lycos.de/master0305/fag/

proof of ripping
http://spiff.tripnet.se/~iczelion/files/CapScreen.txt
v.s.
http://mitglied.lycos.de/master0305/fag/fc_code_capture.txt

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Re: Scandal: IT Security firm hires the author of Sasser worm [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, morning_wood wrote:

> I do however find this interesting... the below "suggests" that a persons
> and or persons affilliated
> with a TROJAN coding history ( and a bad one at that ) is now ( or has
> been ) working
> with / for GFI.

Who cares about a mere trojan author? At least that horrible,
anti-Microsoft Dan Geer feller ain't workin for Symantec now.

What's worse, I ask you? A trojan author, skilled in Win32 programming
and pretty much adhering to The Corporate Philosophy (or at least driving
the need for a "signature update"), or some dadgum "free thinker", who
says that the status quo has some flaws?!? Why, if the status quo has
some flaws, the Free Market in desktop operating systems has some flaws,
and if the Free Market has some flaws, aren't you criticizing America
Itself?

I, for one, won't stand for it. Maybe Symantec bought @stake to hack
those flipping pirated-Norton-Works-spammers.

Re: Scandal: IT Security firm hires the author of Sasser worm [ In reply to ]
Actually, the idea of hiring people such as author of Sasser worm is to get
their
brilliance minus the negative effects of them being unreliable. How will the
company
which hires such guys ensures that for instance he does not take away
company's
IP secrets, hack into company's network or hack into some other company's
network
using this company's resources?

If these issues can be resolved and the person's brilliiance used, then
certainly
it would be a win-win situation for the company.

The other issue is the PR angle. It would be an interesting question to
answer: by
hiring such a person, does the company increase its PR or diminish it?

regards,
Samir Kelekar
Teknotrends Software
http://www.teknotrends.com