Mailing List Archive

On sf sell out
Here are my 2 stotinki on Securityfocus's sell out.

I don't mind aleph1 & co. taking $75M. What I am concerned what price we
shall pay for it. ($75M is too much for collecting other people's 0days,
IMHO)

What scares me about Securityfocus is that since the beginning 2002
they started not posting some of my posts to bugtraq but seem to post
"politically correct" messages.

They went so far to not post a real vulnerability [1](later indirectly
confirmed by Microsoft in a bulletin, not fixed yet).
Then I decided - no 0days for securityfocus and started posting only
comments and opinions, mainly on the topic of full disclosure.
Most of them didn't get to the list, though the opposite of my opinions were
posted.

Hope they don't turn into mainstream media outlet and use the power of
moderation for labelling people and ideas as good and bad in their user
base.

Note: I don't mean to whine for them moderating me down, it is their right
to do whatever they want with their mailing lists, but think this should be
publicly known.

[1] http://www.guninski.com/signedactivex.html (also check ver. 2.0)

Georgi Guninski
http://www.guninski.com
Re: On sf sell out [ In reply to ]
Georgi,

Hi I've always admired your work :) Especially the AIX shellcode..
anyways I just thought I would write you to inform you of a small time
for exploit developers only mailing list. So far we have about 10 well
reputed exploit developers on our list. And that's it! No security
consultants, pen-testers, script kiddies... the URL is here. excuse the
pop-up; I've found friendly hosting for the list but not the page yet :)

http://www.crosswinds.net/~zerodaydigest/

Please take a look at the charter. Anyways, we'd all love to benefit
from your wide range of exploit development expertise!

best regards,
core

Re: On sf sell out [ In reply to ]
Er... please disregard that last e-mail it was sent to the list on
accident. If you're interested in joining our small list and develop
exploits feel free to contact core-owner@noops.english.org since I spilt
the beans.

best regards,
core

Re: On sf sell out [ In reply to ]
Yeah my e-mail client doesn't even include the original posters address
if I hit reply-all...

core

Re: On sf sell out [ In reply to ]

Re: On sf sell out [ In reply to ]
also sprach Charles 'core' Stevenson <core@bokeoa.com> [2002.07.21.2025 +0200]:
> Yeah my e-mail client doesn't even include the original posters address
> if I hit reply-all...

Which is entirely due to Reply-To being set. Anyway, I won't complain,
my mailer can handle it with the hook I wrote, and as it is, it can
only become amusing ;^>

--
martin; (greetings from the heart of the sun.)
\____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net@madduck

feature freeze means that everyone has a bad feeling
when they change something, almost nothing more."
-- stephan kulow
Re: On sf sell out [ In reply to ]
also sprach Charles 'core' Stevenson <core@bokeoa.com> [2002.07.21.1951 +0200]:
> Er... please disregard that last e-mail it was sent to the list on
> accident. If you're interested in joining our small list and develop
> exploits feel free to contact core-owner@noops.english.org since I spilt
> the beans.

Yes, but I am on of "those security consultants". You wouldn't want me
on that list, right?

--
martin; (greetings from the heart of the sun.)
\____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net@madduck

give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Re: On sf sell out [ In reply to ]
Well, I should clarify. The 0-Day Digest does not discriminate on the
basis of employment, race, creed, etc.. That was my own personal
false-generalisation or whatever you'd like to call it... prejudice...
which assumes that all security consultants/pen-testers rely on others
to create exploits and tools for them to perform their job, flesh out
their product, etc.. Obviosuly this is untrue as we have members in all
listed fields except script kiddie (we hope ;). So please accept my
appology for saying that, no hard feelings right? :)

core

Re: On sf sell out [ In reply to ]

--
^herman^ .~. The best way to accelerate
Email:herman@ofzo.nl / v \ a computer running Windows
RE: On sf sell out [ In reply to ]
Who says a security consultant can't write an exploit? :-)

Re: On sf sell out [ In reply to ]
It really comes down to the intent of the person wishing to join. If the
individual's intent is to procure cutting edge technology without
reciprocating then we are not interested. On the contrary if the
individual and the existing members can benefit each other through
mutual association then I think we have a good thing. :)

Best Regards,
Charles Stevenson

Re: On sf sell out [ In reply to ]

Re: On sf sell out [ In reply to ]
Re: On sf sell out [ In reply to ]
> Is this list going to be archived? Then anyone will be able to google the
> archives, and make off with whatever knowledge that ends up collected
being
> here.

This list is already being archived, as you can see at
http://lists.netsys.com/pipermail/full-disclosure/
And its archive is already in the news, as you can see at

Giordani Rodrigues
InfoGuerra's Editor
E-mail: editor@infoguerra.com.br

> Is this list going to be archived? Then anyone will be able to google the
> archives, and make off with whatever knowledge that ends up collected
being
> here.
>
> I think that we are all angry that things happened the way they did with
> securityfocus, and that's understandable. However, knee-jerk reactions
will
> get us nowhere fast. Perhaps something in the charter forbidding the sale
of
> the list, or assurances that exploit info isn't prostituted, etc. etc.
would

Re: On sf sell out [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 09:18:48PM +0000, looseduk@ductape.net said:
> Is this list going to be archived? Then anyone will be able to google the
> archives, and make off with whatever knowledge that ends up collected being
> here.

It's the Net. That's one of the major features. If you have something to say
that you don't want random strangers finding, why would you say it in a
public forum to begin with?

You can always use the X-No-Archive flag, which may or may not have the
effect you desire.

IMHO there's entirely too much angst over the ability of some *gasp*
non-list-subscriber reading one's valuable pearls of knowledge in a search
engine rather than a MUA. What's the difference, anyway? If you want your
words to stay private, encrypt them, or use a private list or network. Expect
that whatever you say in a public forum will be hanging around for some time
to come. That's the way of the Net.

> I think that we are all angry that things happened the way they did with
> securityfocus, and that's understandable. However, knee-jerk reactions will
> get us nowhere fast. Perhaps something in the charter forbidding the sale of
> the list, or assurances that exploit info isn't prostituted, etc. etc. would
> be cool, and sufficient.

They would be pointless. Consider what you're proposing a bit more and see if
you don't reach the same conclusion. Trying to control the degree of
disclosure
of information in a public forum on the Net is an exercise in futility.

(Besides, list archival is a good thing - many questions have been answered
for me thanks to google searches of old mailing list archives, or Usenet
posts. I think we'd all like to decrease, rather than increase, the number of
FAQs appearing on lists we frequent. Archives make this possible, even if
people seem averse to reading them.)

--
-= Scott Francis || darkuncle (at) darkuncle (dot) net =-
GPG key CB33CCA7 has been revoked; I am now 5537F527