Mailing List Archive

Problem attaching a TM symbol to website logo
Hi list,

I must admit I'm relatively new to Forrest however I am finding it extremely
user friendly to date (even though I'm only making minor changes). I've been
trying to tackle our Jira issue as here [1] which is basically an update of
branding issues relating to the Apache Nutch web site [2]. Now in particular
I am stuck with the seemingly trivial task of adding a "TM" symbol e.g. *&#153
*to the Nutch website logo as described here [3].

After building the site source [4] I've been searching through all of the
files in an attempt to locate some HTML I can edit however all I can find in
/site/forrest/src/documentation is skinconf.xml which contains the snippet
below.

<!-- project logo -->
<project-name>Nutch</project-name>
<project-description>Open Source Web Search Software</project-description>
<project-url>http://nutch.apache.org/</project-url>
<project-logo>images/nutch-logo.gif</project-logo>

I understand that this is a real trivial issue, however I've searched high
and low and can't seem to get it.

Thank you

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NUTCH-914
[2] http://nutch.apache.org
[3] http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs#graphics
[4] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/nutch/site/

--
*Lewis*
Re: Problem attaching a TM symbol to website logo [ In reply to ]
lewis john mcgibbney wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I must admit I'm relatively new to Forrest however I am finding it extremely
> user friendly to date (even though I'm only making minor changes). I've been
> trying to tackle our Jira issue as here [1] which is basically an update of
> branding issues relating to the Apache Nutch web site [2]. Now in particular
> I am stuck with the seemingly trivial task of adding a "TM" symbol e.g. *&#153
> *to the Nutch website logo as described here [3].
>
> After building the site source [4] I've been searching through all of the
> files in an attempt to locate some HTML I can edit however all I can find in
> /site/forrest/src/documentation is skinconf.xml which contains the snippet
> below.
>
> <!-- project logo -->
> <project-name>Nutch</project-name>
> <project-description>Open Source Web Search Software</project-description>
> <project-url>http://nutch.apache.org/</project-url>
> <project-logo>images/nutch-logo.gif</project-logo>
>
> I understand that this is a real trivial issue, however I've searched high
> and low and can't seem to get it.

The "nutch-logo.gif" needs to have a trademark symbol added
to it and the graphic reproduced. That is not Forrest's job.

When your graphics expert has the replacement logo,
if it is still named "nutch-logo.gif" then all that
is needed is to replace the image at
nutch/site/forrest/src/documentation/resources/images/
then re-generate the site.

If it has a different filename, then declare the new
filename in nutch/site/forrest/src/documentation/skinconf.xml
at the "project-logo" element.

If your team is not able to tweak the logo image
to add the trademark symbol, i.e. you do not have
access to the sources and expertise that produced it,
then there is a Forrest plugin that might be able to
assist.

However it requires a PNG format logo. So need to
use a graphics tool, e.g. Gimp, to convert the GIF.

Then Forrest can be instructed to do a once-off job
to apply a "trademark" or "registered trademark"
to the original PNG to produce a new PNG.

See:
http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_90/index.html#org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.logo

-David

Re: Problem attaching a TM symbol to website logo [ In reply to ]
thank you David

greatly appreciated

--
*Lewis*