Mailing List Archive

Not compatible with Java 1.6?
Hi, I'm new to Forrest -- is it still being actively maintained?
I just tried downloading version 1.8, according to the tutorial here:
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_90/your-project.html
I got through "forrest seed" and "forrest run" fine, but then, when I tried
to generate a static site with "forrest", I got a bunch of errors of this
form:

validate-sitemap:

C:\bin\apache-forrest-0.8\main\webapp\resources\schema\relaxng\sitemap-v06.rng:72:31:
error: datatype library "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes" not
recognized

C:\bin\apache-forrest-0.8\main\webapp\resources\schema\relaxng\sitemap-v06.rng:81:31:
error: datatype library "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes" not
recognized

I then found this message:
http://www.mail-archive.com/user@forrest.apache.org/msg02833.html that seems
to indicate that Forrest isn't compatible with Java 1.6.

Is that right? I'd really rather not install an older version of the JDK
just to play around with Forrest. If that's really the cause of my problem,
I don't understand why more people don't encounter it -- why there weren't a
lot more hits when I searched for the error message.

Also, what about updating that tutorial page to reflect that? Maybe Forrest
0.9 doesn't have this problem, but that tutorial page, despite being under
the 0.9 documentation, links to a download page that has no links for
version 0.9 -- only 0.8. At least a note in the tutorial page about this
issue would have saved me a lot of time.

Re: Not compatible with Java 1.6? [ In reply to ]
Klortho wrote:

> validate-sitemap:
>
> C:\bin\apache-forrest-0.8\main\webapp\resources\schema\relaxng\sitemap-v06.rng:72:31:
> error: datatype library "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes" not
> recognized
>
> C:\bin\apache-forrest-0.8\main\webapp\resources\schema\relaxng\sitemap-v06.rng:81:31:
> error: datatype library "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes" not
> recognized
>
> I then found this message:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/user@forrest.apache.org/msg02833.html that seems
> to indicate that Forrest isn't compatible with Java 1.6.

A bit more searching would lead to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-984
"validate-sitemap target fails relaxng validation on some JDK 1.6: missing datatypes"

That is fixed in the current source SVN.

-David
Re: Not compatible with Java 1.6? [ In reply to ]
Thanks! That's solved it. Yet ... clearly it's just a work-around. I still
think the tutorial document should be updated.

Re: Not compatible with Java 1.6? [ In reply to ]
2009/3/3 Klortho <Voldrani@gmail.com>:

> Thanks!  That's solved it.  Yet ... clearly it's just a work-around.  I still
> think the tutorial document should be updated.

We'd be really happy to accept a patch updating the document for us.

Ross