What's more I would like to know if it was possible to help for this project
?

Thanks

Re: Forrest news [ In reply to ]
Tibetoine wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been watching the Apache Forrest web site for a couple of days, and I
> was wandering if this project was still in dev ?

It is still in development, however development is slow. All development
activity happens on the developer list. you can see recent activity at [1]

> What's more I would like to know if it was possible to help for this project
> ?

We are always as welcoming as possible to new blood. If you care to join
us on the developer list [2] we'll be happy to help you get settled in.
you might want to start by looking at our introductory developer docs,
e.g. [3] - however, don't be afraid to ask for more guidance on the dev
list - we're a friendly bunch ;-)

Ross

[1]
http://markmail.org/search/?q=list%3Aforrest#query:list%3Aforrest%20type%3Adevelopment+page:1+state:facets
[2] http://forrest.apache.org/mail-lists.html
[3] http://forrest.apache.org/contrib.html#wanted
Re: Forrest news [ In reply to ]
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Tibetoine wrote:
> >
> >I have been watching the Apache Forrest web site for a couple of days, and
> >I was wandering if this project was still in dev ?
>
> It is still in development, however development is slow. All development
> activity happens on the developer list. you can see recent activity at [1]

And [1.5] an overall summary which shows the svn list too.

Tibetoine was probably referring to such web pages
as http://forrest.apache.org/#news and the linked
"events" page. We really should keep those things
more up-to-date. Perhaps we could automatically
generate a summary of the important changes since
the last release.

Other ways to keep abreast:
- Changes [4]
- Quarterly reports to ASF Board [5]

-David

[1.5] http://forrest.markmail.org/search/?q=
[4] http://forrest.apache.org/docs/dev/changes.html
[5] http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html#report
Re: Forrest news [ In reply to ]
First of all, thanks for your answer.

I will try to get involved in this project ... If I find time to ...

I would like to tell (with my poor english speaking) that Forrest is a very
good project. But as a good forrest user I would like to add this

In my opinion :
- Forrest web site is bad structured, it's hard to find information in
documention
- Forrest web site is not really "beautiful", it would be fine to find a
Forrest icone (Hope I'm not offending someone) and to work on Forrest CSS
(Since it's quite easy with the generated Forrest HTML code)
- The news page seems died.
- It's hard to find the Jira or Nabble page on Google.
- It's hard to find support on google.
- I always find information about forrest 0.7 whereas i'm looking for 0.8 :(

And I would really love this project when forrest has its own Forrest
eclipse editor... Is that a current project ?

I hope i didn't offend something, it seems to me that this modification
aren't so much difficul (except for eclipse editor) and it would be good for
Forrest Project public image :)

Waiting for your answers ...

Re: Forrest news [ In reply to ]
[.Please don't top post - it loses context and makes the archives
difficult to read]

On 28 Nov 2008, at 16:05, ARobert wrote:

> First of all, thanks for your answer.
>
> I will try to get involved in this project ... If I find time to ...
>
> I would like to tell (with my poor english speaking) that Forrest is
> a very
> good project. But as a good forrest user I would like to add this
>
> In my opinion :
> - Forrest web site is bad structured, it's hard to find information in
> documention

I agree 100% I know roughly what content we have yet I can't find it!

> - Forrest web site is not really "beautiful", it would be fine to
> find a
> Forrest icone (Hope I'm not offending someone) and to work on
> Forrest CSS
> (Since it's quite easy with the generated Forrest HTML code)

Forrest is still using the same skin it was using when started in 2002
- it's certainly time for an update.

> - The news page seems died.

No news is sometimes good news. Forrest 0.8 is stable and extremely
useful. 0.9 is ticking along.

However, I agree that it can give the impression of no activity and
should be rectified in some way.

> - It's hard to find the Jira or Nabble page on Google.

Well I would argue that we don't want nabble and jira appearing as the
number one searches. Nabble is nothing to do with us, Jira is only of
interest to developers who should know where to go.

Having said that, Tim Williams recently posted on the dev list about
having created a custom Google search for Forrest. We should make that
the default search engine from the Forrest home page. This can include
mail archives and Jira

> - It's hard to find support on google.

Google searches the internet. The best place to find support for any
project is via the search facilities provided by that project which
will usually be more narrowly focussed.

(although see above about custom search engine)

> - I always find information about forrest 0.7 whereas i'm looking
> for 0.8 :(

0.7 has been around longer than 0.8 and therefore is linked to more.

Perhaps we should put a header on the 0.7 pages saying that these are
not the docs for the latest version and providing a link to the latest
(this can be done automatically).

> And I would really love this project when forrest has its own Forrest
> eclipse editor... Is that a current project ?

Do you mean the Eclipse plugin in whiteboard? That has not been active
for a very long time (2005 I think)

Nothing to stop you starting it up again - it was reasonably
functional when last worked on.

> I hope i didn't offend something, it seems to me that this
> modification
> aren't so much difficul (except for eclipse editor) and it would be
> good for
> Forrest Project public image :)

I agree. So why don't you join the dev list and act on some of your
suggestions.

Don't worry about hurting feelings. There are no ownership issues
around here. If you improve Forrest it is good for us all.

Ross

Re: Forrest news [ In reply to ]
Ross Gardler wrote:
> ARobert wrote:
> >
> >First of all, thanks for your answer.
> >
> >I will try to get involved in this project ... If I find time to ...
> >
> >I would like to tell (with my poor english speaking) that Forrest is
> >a very
> >good project. But as a good forrest user I would like to add this
> >
> >In my opinion :
> >- Forrest web site is bad structured, it's hard to find information in
> >documention
>
> I agree 100% I know roughly what content we have yet I can't find it!

There is some unfinished development effort in our
"dev" mail archives. A rearrangement was commenced but
not completed. It is better than it was but still
needs some tweaking. IIRC some issues were resolved
but not yet implemented.

> >- Forrest web site is not really "beautiful", it would be fine to
> >find a
> >Forrest icone (Hope I'm not offending someone) and to work on
> >Forrest CSS
> >(Since it's quite easy with the generated Forrest HTML code)
>
> Forrest is still using the same skin it was using when started in 2002
> - it's certainly time for an update.

We have tried to encourage CSS experts to assist.
One new committer helped with some essential groundwork
development. Search the dev archives and the issue tracker.
We need to now go the next stage.

> >- The news page seems died.
>
> No news is sometimes good news. Forrest 0.8 is stable and extremely
> useful. 0.9 is ticking along.
>
> However, I agree that it can give the impression of no activity and
> should be rectified in some way.
>
> >- It's hard to find the Jira or Nabble page on Google.
>
> Well I would argue that we don't want nabble and jira appearing as the
> number one searches. Nabble is nothing to do with us, Jira is only of
> interest to developers who should know where to go.

That was my reaction too.

There is an assumption on our website that most people who
need to use the Issue tracker or the mail lists etc. are
developers. So see the "Developers" tab.

> Having said that, Tim Williams recently posted on the dev list about
> having created a custom Google search for Forrest. We should make that
> the default search engine from the Forrest home page. This can include
> mail archives and Jira

Yes.

However, Forrest users could take advantage of the
"Forrestbar" (for Firefox). I find it such a valuable tool.
Providing direct search of Forrest resources and also
access to behind-the-scenes data of forrest processing steps.
http://forrest.apache.org/tools/forrestbar.html

> >- It's hard to find support on google.
>
> Google searches the internet. The best place to find support for any
> project is via the search facilities provided by that project which
> will usually be more narrowly focussed.
>
> (although see above about custom search engine)
>
> >- I always find information about forrest 0.7 whereas i'm looking
> >for 0.8 :(

There is a trick if you stumble across old docs:
Replace "docs_0_70" in the URL with either "docs"
or "docs/dev".

> 0.7 has been around longer than 0.8 and therefore is linked to more.
>
> Perhaps we should put a header on the 0.7 pages saying that these are
> not the docs for the latest version and providing a link to the latest
> (this can be done automatically).

There is already. See the top-right under the PDF icon.

I recognised that problem ages ago and made
some solution with the "Message of the day" facility.

Perhaps it could be more emphatic on the old release docs.

-David