hi all,
i've just started to learn forrest. i have read all documents that I found. however, i am not able to install it. I am using Windows Xp.I am creating environmental variable. but when I write "forrest-projecthelp" , it is not working..Actually I don't get on well with computer.And within one week I need to prepare a report to my boss about this program.please help me!
nice day...
Re: a newbie couldnt install the program [ In reply to ]
gulfiz ergin wrote:
> hi all,
> i've just started to learn forrest. i have read all documents that I
> found. however, i am not able to install it. I am using Windows Xp.I am
> creating environmental variable. but when I write "forrest-projecthelp"
> , it is not working..

You need a space between "forrest" and "-projecthelp"

> Actually I don't get on well with computer.And
> within one week I need to prepare a report to my boss about this
> program.please help me!

We'll help as much as we can but we aren't going to do your report for
you. The more you can contribute back to us the more we'll help you.

Suggest to your boss that he agrees to release a a version back to the
project and you'll find us more willing to help.

Ross
Re: a newbie couldnt install the program [ In reply to ]
whatever I wrote there it is saying "..is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file"..what am i doing wrong i dont know:(
thanks in advance for ur help!

RE: a newbie couldnt install the program [ In reply to ]
Hi Gulfizer,

You may not have set the path correctly so computer can find the forrest
command to run...

When I fall in this trouble I do the simplest thing. Go to the bin
directory and run forrest from there first.

On my computer the

C:\Sumpurn\Installation\forrest\apache-forrest-0.8\bin\forrest seed

Would run forrest and seed a project

Praveen

_____

Re: a newbie couldnt install the program [ In reply to ]
[.Can we please avoid top posting, it makes the archives hard to read -
comments inline...]

Dr. Bhatia Praveen wrote:
> Hi Gulfizer,
>
> You may not have set the path correctly so computer can find the
> forrest command to run…..

To check this do:

echo %FORREST_HOME%

this should output the path to your Forrest installation directory.

then do

echo %PATH%

this should show an entry with %FORREST_HOME%/bin

Ross

Re: a newbie couldnt install the program [ In reply to ]
thanks for all ur help and advise...it is working now.it seems that for a while i wont have a problem..but i am sure soon i will be back :)
nice day
Re: a newbie couldnt install the program [ In reply to ]
Check which version of Java is on your machine. I recently had problems with
installation myself and found out that it (Forrest) didn't like version 6. I
had to install 5.

Good luck,

- Irina

Re: a newbie couldnt install the program [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 18:51 -0700, Irrra wrote:
> Check which version of Java is on your machine. I recently had problems with
> installation myself and found out that it (Forrest) didn't like version 6. I
> had to install 5.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-984

The problem is not too much forrest but see Davids comment on the end
"... it seems that this happens from our "validate-sitemap" Ant task for
Jing." The next lines then is how to work around the problem.

salu2

--
Thorsten Scherler thorsten.at.apache.org
Open Source Java consulting, training and solutions