Mailing List Archive

Japanese characters transform from doc to html
Hello,
I use an [1] xml file -> [2] transformed to doc by xslt -> [3]transformed
to xml by my sitemap pipeline -> [4] transformed to html by forrest.
The relevant string that gets transformed in this process is as follows
(Please note these are Japanese character strings):
[1]
<set lang="japanese">
<ques> Japanese string1 <ques>
<ans> Japanese string2 </ans>
</set>
At [3} these strings after transformation looks correctly like:
<http://localhost:8888/ask-grade4-science-lesson4.xml#> - <li>
string2</a>
</li>
At [4] in html source it looks like:
<a class="external" href="javascript:sayText(%22%E6%97%A5% ..... ETC,
,1,12,3)"> Japanese string2 </a>

Hence Japanese string1 at the href location got converted to strange
characters...

Problem: Till step [3] the transformation is correct in Japanese. At step
[4] the the href= portion's Japanese has become special characters while the
value place japanese is in normal Japanese. My sayText() library function
can't interpret these characters and requires normal Japanese there.

What can I do to get the normal Japanese at the href= location after the
transformation to html from forrest site?

thanks
Praveen
Re: Japanese characters transform from doc to html [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 00:32 +0900, Dr. Bhatia Praveen wrote:

> Hello,
> I use an [1] xml file -> [2] transformed to doc by xslt ->
> [3]transformed to xml by my sitemap pipeline -> [4] transformed to
> html by forrest.
> The relevant string that gets transformed in this process is as
> follows (Please note these are Japanese character strings):
> [1]
> <set lang="japanese">
> <ques> Japanese string1 <ques>
> <ans> Japanese string2 </ans>
> </set>
> At [.3} these strings after transformation looks correctly like:
> - <li>
> string2</a>
> </li>
> At [4] in html source it looks like:
> <a class="external" href="javascript:sayText(%22%E6%97%A5% .....
> ETC, ,1,12,3)"> Japanese string2 </a>
>
> Hence Japanese string1 at the href location got converted to strange
> characters...
>
> Problem: Till step [3] the transformation is correct in Japanese. At
> step [4] the the href= portion's Japanese has become special
> characters while the value place japanese is in normal Japanese. My
> sayText() library function can't interpret these characters and
> requires normal Japanese there.
>
> What can I do to get the normal Japanese at the href= location after
> the transformation to html from forrest site?

Actually that is a bit cumbersome and I recommend to not directly use
the japanese character in the href attribute. The problem is that the
attribute href will be encoded via the link rewrite.

Workaround:

and in your script:

function sayText(a,b,c,d){
if (a =="YourJapaneseString"
}

This is not the most beautiful solution but will work.

HTH

salu2

--
Thorsten Scherler thorsten.at.apache.org
Open Source Java consulting, training and solutions
RE: Japanese characters transform from doc to html [ In reply to ]
Hi,
Worked. Thanks.