Mailing List Archive

Broken linkmap.pdf
Hello all,

I recently upgraded to the newly released version 0.8. The upgrade was
mostly painless, other than one minor issue.

My 0.7 docs contained numerous external <a href="http://www..."> and
internal <a href="#..."> references, which were not included in
site.xml.

When I upgraded to 0.8, I noticed that these links were ignored in PDFs.
Looking at document-to-fo.xsl, it seems that there is no <template
match="a">, only a <template match="link|fork|jump">. When I change this
template to <template match="a|link|fork|jump">, the build breaks with
the following error message:

"linkmap.pdf BROKEN: internal-destination or external-destination must
be specified in basic-link"

The PDFs are then generated with working links, so this is not so much
of a problem, as the only thing affected is linkmap.pdf. But it would be
nice to have a successful build.

Does anyone know what I have to do to get rid of this error message, and
still have links that work in PDF? Do I have to change all my <a
href=""> references to <link href="">?

The version 0.8 document-v20.mod does not contain entries for "link",
"fork" or "jump", but they are inlcuded in document-to-fo.xsl? Whereas
"a" is included in document-v20.mod, but not in document-to-fo.xsl. Is
this an oversight, or have I missed something?

Other than that, congratulations on a successful release :-)

Many thanks,

Steve

Re: Broken linkmap.pdf [ In reply to ]
On 31/05/07, Steve Odlind <SOdlind@omniture.com> wrote:

> My 0.7 docs contained numerous external <a href="http://www..."> and
> internal <a href="#..."> references, which were not included in site.xml.
>
> When I upgraded to 0.8, I noticed that these links were ignored in PDFs.
> Looking at document-to-fo.xsl, it seems that there is no <template
> match="a">, only a <template match="link|fork|jump">. When I change this
> template to <template match="a|link|fork|jump">, the build breaks with the
> following error message:
>
> "linkmap.pdf BROKEN: internal-destination or external-destination must be
> specified in basic-link"
>
> The PDFs are then generated with working links, so this is not so much of a
> problem, as the only thing affected is linkmap.pdf. But it would be nice to
> have a successful build.
>
> Does anyone know what I have to do to get rid of this error message, and
> still have links that work in PDF? Do I have to change all my <a href="">
> references to <link href="">?

You are using the v2.0 DTD, so no, do not change your links.

> The version 0.8 document-v20.mod does not contain entries for "link", "fork"
> or "jump", but they are inlcuded in document-to-fo.xsl? Whereas "a" is
> included in document-v20.mod, but not in document-to-fo.xsl. Is this an
> oversight, or have I missed something?

There is no match for "a" elements since that element is only valid in
our XDoc 2.0. internally Forrest uses XDoc 1.3, which only supports
"link|fork|jump". The conversion from 2.0 to 1.3 is done prior to the
use of document-to-fo.xsl.

This was also the case in Forrest 0.7, it has not changed in the 0.8 release.

---

Given that the error you describe is not affected by any known change
that I can think of it sounds like it is either a strange side effect
in your site, or it is an error in your content.

Here's a few debugging steps we can try:

using your original source files and an unmodified document-to-fo.xsl
file request http://localhost:8888/testpage.xml

This will give you the internal XML that will be fed into the
document-to-fo.xsl stylesheet.

Inspect this file for anything strange, you should see that it is now
using the 1.3 version of the DTD and that all links have been
converted from "a" to "link|fork|jump" as appropriate.

Now request http://localhost:8888/testpage.fo this will give you the
formatting objects file used to create the PDF.

Inspect this file paying particular attention to the links that you
expect to see.

If this doesn't highlight any specific problems then post snippets of
the source, internal xml and FO files. It may trigger a thought in
someones mind.

Ross
RE: Broken linkmap.pdf [ In reply to ]
Hi Ross,

The problem seems to be that I am using a custom DTD. If I change the
DOCTYPE in the source XML file to point to the Apache Forrest
document-v20.dtd (rather than my own custom DTD) and remove "a" from the
"link" template, then the <a> elements are indeed converted to <link>
elements in the internal XML file.

When the DOCTYPE of the source XML file points to my own custom DTD, and
I add "a" to the "link" template, the "basic-link" elements in the .fo
file do contain the appropriate
"internal-destination"/"external-destination" attribute. So it seems to
be a spurious error message.

Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks for your help,

Steve

Re: Broken linkmap.pdf [ In reply to ]
[.Please use inline commenting - it makes the archives much more useful
to people who come after us]

On 01/06/07, Steve Odlind <SOdlind@omniture.com> wrote:
> The problem seems to be that I am using a custom DTD. If I change the
> DOCTYPE in the source XML file to point to the Apache Forrest
> document-v20.dtd (rather than my own custom DTD) and remove "a" from the
> "link" template, then the <a> elements are indeed converted to <link>
> elements in the internal XML file.
>
> When the DOCTYPE of the source XML file points to my own custom DTD, and
> I add "a" to the "link" template, the "basic-link" elements in the .fo
> file do contain the appropriate
> "internal-destination"/"external-destination" attribute. So it seems to
> be a spurious error message.

In my experience these errors are on spat out in the case of genuine
errors. I suspect you missed something in your fo file that was empty.

> Any ideas what to try next?

You say you are using a custom DTD, so you should have a
transformation converting your source format to XDoc. I'm guessing you
don't have such a thing and this is why you see errors. If you do have
such a transformation then it's output is not a valid XDoc - perhaps
you are missing the doctype declaration?

Ross

RE: Broken linkmap.pdf [ In reply to ]
On 01/06/07, Steve Odlind <SOdlind@omniture.com> wrote:
>> The problem seems to be that I am using a custom DTD. If I change the
>> DOCTYPE in the source XML file to point to the Apache Forrest
>> document-v20.dtd (rather than my own custom DTD) and remove "a" from
the
>> "link" template, then the <a> elements are indeed converted to <link>
>> elements in the internal XML file.
>>
>> When the DOCTYPE of the source XML file points to my own custom DTD,
and
>> I add "a" to the "link" template, the "basic-link" elements in the
.fo
>> file do contain the appropriate
>> "internal-destination"/"external-destination" attribute. So it seems
>> be a spurious error message.

>In my experience these errors are on spat out in the case of genuine
>errors. I suspect you missed something in your fo file that was empty.

>> Any ideas what to try next?

>You say you are using a custom DTD, so you should have a
>transformation converting your source format to XDoc. I'm guessing you
>don't have such a thing and this is why you see errors. If you do have
>such a transformation then it's output is not a valid XDoc - perhaps
>you are missing the doctype declaration?

I have added the relevant code to my sitemap.xmap, pointing to my custom
XSL (if that is what you suggested I do). I have followed the example
provided at http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/your-project.html, and
now get the error message:

"linkmap.html BROKEN: C:\Forrest0_8\apache-forrest-0.8\main\webapp\.
(Access is denied)"

I have also checked every instance of the "basic-link" element in all
the .fo files in my site, and they all contain non-empty
"internal-destination" and "external-destination" attributes.

So is the problem with sitemap.xmap?

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Ross

RE: Broken linkmap.pdf [ In reply to ]
On 01/06/07, Steve Odlind <SOdlind@omniture.com> wrote:
>> The problem seems to be that I am using a custom DTD. If I change the
>> DOCTYPE in the source XML file to point to the Apache Forrest
>> document-v20.dtd (rather than my own custom DTD) and remove "a" from
the
>> "link" template, then the <a> elements are indeed converted to <link>
>> elements in the internal XML file.
>>
>> When the DOCTYPE of the source XML file points to my own custom DTD,
and
>> I add "a" to the "link" template, the "basic-link" elements in the
.fo
>> file do contain the appropriate
>> "internal-destination"/"external-destination" attribute. So it seems
>> be a spurious error message.

>In my experience these errors are on spat out in the case of genuine
>errors. I suspect you missed something in your fo file that was empty.

>> Any ideas what to try next?

>You say you are using a custom DTD, so you should have a
>transformation converting your source format to XDoc. I'm guessing you
>don't have such a thing and this is why you see errors. If you do have
>such a transformation then it's output is not a valid XDoc - perhaps
>you are missing the doctype declaration?

>I have added the relevant code to my sitemap.xmap, pointing to my
custom
>XSL (if that is what you suggested I do). I have followed the example
>provided at http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/your-project.html, and
>now get the error message:

>"linkmap.html BROKEN: C:\Forrest0_8\apache-forrest-0.8\main\webapp\.
> (Access is denied)"

>I have also checked every instance of the "basic-link" element in all
>the .fo files in my site, and they all contain non-empty
>"internal-destination" and "external-destination" attributes.

Addendum: the only <fo:basic-link external-destination="" I found was in
linkmap.fo.

>So is the problem with sitemap.xmap?

>Thanks for any help.

>Steve