Mailing List Archive

[Proposal] re-release 0.9 with proper source code package
All ASF projects need to release open-source software.

At Forrest we have made major efforts to define the explicit
set of dependencies. We do not use Maven or Ivy to manage those
at build time. Instead we provided a distribution package which
contained all of those specific supporting product dependencies.

That is okay as a convenience.

However we need to provide a source code package which does not contain
those external JAR files, and conduct our release vote against that package.
Then we can construct other convenience packages for distribution.

There is a relevant discussion happening now at general@ Apache Incubator.
The messages from Roy are particularly useful.
Subject: Binary dependencies in source releases
http://s.apache.org/IvC

We are aware of this situation, and need to act.

I have removed our distribution packages from apache.org/dist/forrest/
and hence from the mirror system, adding a README-distribution.txt file.

I reckon that we can fix this by re-packaging our distribution as follows:

[A] apache-forrest-0.9-source.tar.gz
[B] apache-forrest-0.9-dependencies.tar.gz
[C] apache-forrest-0.9-binary.tar.gz

So A + B = C
and C is essentially equivalent to what we have been doing in the past.

The "A" source release package is our product.
The "B" and "C" packages are provided as a convenience.

To prepare for voting, people would need to obtain the "A" source package,
verify, and unpack it. Then either obtain "B" and unpack it over the top
to put the dependencies in place, or obtain each dependency from its
origin to build and install it.

Then we re-conduct the 0.9 release vote against the "A" source package.

Before the next release 0.10 (whenever that happens) we would need
to modify our build system.

-David
Re: [Proposal] re-release 0.9 with proper source code package [ In reply to ]
David Crossley wrote:
> All ASF projects need to release open-source software.
>
> At Forrest we have made major efforts to define the explicit
> set of dependencies. We do not use Maven or Ivy to manage those
> at build time. Instead we provided a distribution package which
> contained all of those specific supporting product dependencies.
>
> That is okay as a convenience.
>
> However we need to provide a source code package which does not contain
> those external JAR files, and conduct our release vote against that package.
> Then we can construct other convenience packages for distribution.
>
> There is a relevant discussion happening now at general@ Apache Incubator.
> The messages from Roy are particularly useful.
> Subject: Binary dependencies in source releases
> http://s.apache.org/IvC
>
> We are aware of this situation, and need to act.
>
> I have removed our distribution packages from apache.org/dist/forrest/
> and hence from the mirror system, adding a README-distribution.txt file.
>
> I reckon that we can fix this by re-packaging our distribution as follows:
>
> [A] apache-forrest-0.9-source.tar.gz
> [B] apache-forrest-0.9-dependencies.tar.gz
> [C] apache-forrest-0.9-binary.tar.gz
>
> So A + B = C
> and C is essentially equivalent to what we have been doing in the past.
>
> The "A" source release package is our product.
> The "B" and "C" packages are provided as a convenience.
>
> To prepare for voting, people would need to obtain the "A" source package,
> verify, and unpack it. Then either obtain "B" and unpack it over the top
> to put the dependencies in place, or obtain each dependency from its
> origin to build and install it.

This is now ready. See:
http://people.apache.org/~crossley/apache-forrest-0.9/

After a couple of days to find any problems, i will arrange for a Vote.

-David