i am getting the following in our logfiles for exim , when a mail is being
delivered completely, some log entries have an asterix tagged after the IP
of the receiving host e.g.

2002-05-22 04:56:19 17AHaI-0004uo-00 => steve@duff.org R=lookuphost
T=remote_smtp H=mail.duff.org [10.0.0.1]*

*NOTE* details changed to protect the innocent...

This seems to occur when a mail couldn't be delivered immediately and had
to be re-tried , or where and email has been sitting on the queue for a
while without attempting to deliver, normally because of load issues, and
thus when it is delivered correctly for the first time, must have exceeded
a time which would normally necessitate being retried...IYSWIM...

does this argument make sense?? and does the * symbolise this??

many thanks in advance

Steve
Steve Foster
Senior Systems Administrator
PSINet Europe
Work: +44 (1223) 577322
Mobile: +44 (7720) 425911
Re: logging question... [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 02:41:28PM +0100,
Steve Foster <fosters@uk.psi.com> is thought to have said:

> does this argument make sense?? and does the * symbolise this??

No it means it was delivered down the same SMTP connection as another
message to the same host.

Tabor
Tabor J. Wells twells@fsckit.net
Fsck It! Just another victim of the ambient morality
Re: logging question... [ In reply to ]
On 2002-05-23 at 14:14 -0400, Tabor J. Wells wrote:
> On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 02:41:28PM +0100,
> Steve Foster <fosters@uk.psi.com> is thought to have said:
> > does this argument make sense?? and does the * symbolise this??
>
> No it means it was delivered down the same SMTP connection as another
> message to the same host.

Well, in a sense it's "yes".

If he's normally delivering immediately, and only queueing (sp?) if the
message is delayed for some reason, then it's only in such a situation
that he's likely to see multiple messages delivered down the same SMTP
connection.

So it's evidence which supports the view that there's a delay, even
though The Spec should have been read to find out the exact cause.

Mr Foster:
Exim 3: 51.4 Logging deliveries
Exim 4: 44.6 Logging deliveries
--