tar xfvz exim4, mkdir Local, cp src/EDITME Local/Makefile, joe Makefile,
make, make install - perfect! Good work, exim developers!

Regards, Marc :)
Re: short story [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 23 May 2002, Marc Sebastian Pelzer wrote:

> yesterday i tried to compile exim4 on a g4 PowerMac with
> MacOSX + devtools and fink GNU tools - and it WORKS out of the box!
>
> tar xfvz exim4, mkdir Local, cp src/EDITME Local/Makefile, joe Makefile,
> make, make install - perfect! Good work, exim developers!
^
^
Thanks, but there's just one of me! (Though I do get lots of suggestions
and patches and code fragments from other people.)

There was one issue with MacOSX that came up recently. Apparently its
file systems are not case-sensitive in file names. Luckily, Exim was
already prepared for this because of code I put in for cygwin. The next
release of Exim has this line

#define BASE_62 36 /* HFS+ aliases lower and upper cases in filenames. */

in the OS/os.h-Darwin file (which applies to MacOSX). You might like to
consider setting that yourself.

--
Philip Hazel University of Cambridge Computing Service,
ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.