how to accept mail with invalid to-header?
Hello,

one of our customers send mail with invalid to-headers in the form of

T To: <recpt name<recpt.name@domain.com>

Exim rejects them with: rejected after DATA: "@" or "." expected after "recpt": failing address in "To:" header is: <recpt name<recpt.name@domain.com>

Is there some way to make exim accept mails with this faulty header from that one domain?

Thanks in advance,

Anja
Re: how to accept mail with invalid to-header? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, Anja Gawlik wrote:

> one of our customers send mail with invalid to-headers in the form of
>
> T To: <recpt name<recpt.name@domain.com>
>
> Exim rejects them with: rejected after DATA: "@" or "." expected after
> "recpt": failing address in "To:" header is: <recpt
> name<recpt.name@domain.com>
>
> Is there some way to make exim accept mails with this faulty header from
> that one domain?

Probably, but wouldn't be more of a service for your customer to fix the
problem and send properly formatted email messages?

Jethro.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services
University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

Re: how to accept mail with invalid to-header? [ In reply to ]
Anja Gawlik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> one of our customers send mail with invalid to-headers in the form of
>
> T To: <recpt name<recpt.name@domain.com>
>
> Exim rejects them with: rejected after DATA: "@" or "." expected after "recpt": failing address in "To:" header is: <recpt name<recpt.name@domain.com>
>
> Is there some way to make exim accept mails with this faulty header from that one domain?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Anja

Stop doing header syntax checking in your data ACL. Check out the manual
for more information.

--
The Exim Manual
http://www.exim.org/docs.html

Re: how to accept mail with invalid to-header? [ In reply to ]

>> one of our customers send mail with invalid to-headers in the form of
>>
>> T To: <recpt name<recpt.name@domain.com>
>>
>> Exim rejects them with: rejected after DATA: "@" or "." expected after >"recpt": failing address in "To:" header is: <recpt >name<recpt.name@domain.com>
>>
>> Is there some way to make exim accept mails with this faulty header from >that one domain?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Anja
>
>Stop doing header syntax checking in your data ACL. Check out the manual
>for more information.

Thank you for your reply, this was my first idea too, but in our config it says:

require
message = Found an invalid header
verify = header_syntax

So I would have expected a line in the logfile that says something about "Found an invalid header". But there is non. Can it still be that require-statement above?

There is no other 'verify = header_syntax' statement in the config-file.

If I replace the above by

deny
message = Found an invalid header
!verify = header_syntax
!sender_domains = example.com

would it then selectively allow those mails through that come from example.com and check the others for header syntax?

Anja

Re: how to accept mail with invalid to-header? [ In reply to ]
Anja Gawlik wrote:
>>> one of our customers send mail with invalid to-headers in the form of
>>>
>>> T To: <recpt name<recpt.name@domain.com>
>>>
>>> Exim rejects them with: rejected after DATA: "@" or "." expected after >"recpt": failing address in "To:" header is: <recpt >name<recpt.name@domain.com>
>>>
>>> Is there some way to make exim accept mails with this faulty header from >that one domain?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Anja
>> Stop doing header syntax checking in your data ACL. Check out the manual
>> for more information.
>
> Thank you for your reply, this was my first idea too, but in our config it says:
>
> require
> message = Found an invalid header
> verify = header_syntax
>
> So I would have expected a line in the logfile that says something about "Found an invalid header". But there is non. Can it still be that require-statement above?

The block above is doing what I would expect it to .. if there is an
invalid header then it causes a "deny" as dictated by the "require" -
everything must be true or it rejects

> There is no other 'verify = header_syntax' statement in the config-file.
>
> If I replace the above by
>
> deny
> message = Found an invalid header
> !verify = header_syntax
> !sender_domains = example.com
>
> would it then selectively allow those mails through that come from example.com and check the others for header syntax?

Order may be important so I would reverse the last 2 lines. You could
test it to see if mattered if you were keen.

Your above ACL section will do what you want. For example.com it will
skip the chunk (test to see if order is important), and for all other
domains it will check headers.

Heading on a tangent, an alternative might be to do something like

warn
verify = header_syntax
set acl_m_header_syntax = valid

The you can use acl_m_header_syntax as a flag later on for adding up
spam points.

Re: how to accept mail with invalid to-header? [ In reply to ]
>Order may be important so I would reverse the last 2 lines. You could
>test it to see if mattered if you were keen.
>

>Your above ACL section will do what you want. For example.com it will
>skip the chunk (test to see if order is important), and for all other
>domains it will check headers.
>
>Heading on a tangent, an alternative might be to do something like
>
>warn
>verify = header_syntax
>set acl_m_header_syntax = valid
>
>The you can use acl_m_header_syntax as a flag later on for adding up
>spam points.

thank you very much :)

Anja