Mailing List Archive

Receiving email on the server.
Hello,

I'm having trouble receiving email on a server in which I have installed
exim 0.33 (I had also installed exim 4.05, but there were problems
setting it up with the stable version of mailman).

How should I test the system to find out what isn't set up correctly?

I've received the following in attempting to connect to the box:

Connecting to host "mail.www.learningpartnership.org"...
Connected.
S 220 www.learningpartnership.org ESMTP Exim 3.33 #2 Sat, 27 Jul 2002
13:05:27 -0500
C HELO flora.org
S 250 www.learningpartnership.org Hello flora.org [216.187.106.242]
C MAIL FROM: <mike@flora.org>
S 250 <mike@flora.org> is syntactically correct
C RCPT TO: <mike@www.learningpartnership.org>
S 550 relaying to <mike@www.learningpartnership.org> prohibited by
administrator
This host states that the address is not valid.
Disconnected.

It looks to me like it knows that exim is installed, but that it does
not have the rights to transfer mail to the mailbox mike.... Is this
right?

I'm at a loss as to why this isn't working... How does exim deliver
mail to a mailbox on the server and what could get in its way?

This is an error that I get when I try to send to the server:

2002-07-25 12:50:36 H=(tomts13-srv.bellnexxia.net) [209.226.175.34]
sender verify defer for <mike@openconcept.ca>: host lookup did not
complete
2002-07-25 12:50:36 H=(tomts13-srv.bellnexxia.net) [209.226.175.34]
F=<mike@openconcept.ca> temporarily rejected RCPT
<mike@[216.205.94.130]>: Sender verify did not complete

I believer that the host lookup should be turned off by this:
# host_lookup = *

No idea why host lookup isn't working (suggestions on that might be
helpful)..

This is a the headers of an email that got bounced: