Mailing List Archive

Confusion over host_reject_recipients in Exim 3.22
I'm trying to reject several irritating spammers by using
host_reject_recipients. However it seems to be missing several emails that
came from the domains I'm trying to block.

From my exim.conf:
host_reject_recipients = +warn_allow : /etc/mail/reject.hosts

reject.hosts file contents:

63.75.134.199
65.39.147.16
65.39.147.5
209.25.197.253
209.25.225.253
65.39.147.16
m1101.hostcentric.net
*.sitefusion.com
*.frequentfinders.com
*.emailoffersdirect.com
*.ad360.com
*.thesilverneedle.com

I had to add the +warn_unknown because many of our clients don't have
reverses for their mail servers :-(
I determined that the +warm_unknown won't work if it's in the file of hosts
to reject.
I've also used a partial-lsearch;/etc/mail/reject.hosts in the reject
statement but it too misses.

I basically want to be able to reject based on host IP, host.doamin.name, or
domain.name.
What am I missing?

Owen C. Creger CCNA, CISSP
Info. Sec. Administrator
Creative Solutions, a Thomson Company.
7322 Newman Blvd.
Dexter, MI 48130
email: ocreger@creativesolutions.com
ph: 734-426-5860 ex. 3787
fax: 734-426-5946
cell: 734-223-6270
Re: Confusion over host_reject_recipients in Exim 3.22 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Owen Creger wrote:

> I'm trying to reject several irritating spammers by using
> host_reject_recipients. However it seems to be missing several emails that
> came from the domains I'm trying to block.

Examples?

Note you are blocking *hosts*, not domains in email addresses.

> I basically want to be able to reject based on host IP, host.doamin.name, or
> domain.name.
> What am I missing?

If by "domain.name" you mean "the domain in the sender's address", you
need sender_reject_recipients.

--
Philip Hazel University of Cambridge Computing Service,
ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.