Mailing List Archive

Malformed SMTP reply
Hi,

I am having a problem where i am receiving multiple copies of a mail sent
to me.

The bounce sent to the sender reads:
A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of its
recipients after more than 24 hours on the queue on purple.csi.cam.ac.uk.
The message identifier is: 17We7C-0002Jg-00
The subject of the message is: RE: repeated email send
The date of the message is: 22 Jul 2002 15:28:09 +0100
The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:
amoulton@cambridge.org
Delay reason: Malformed SMTP reply from sun1.cup.cam.ac.uk [131.111.148.1]
TNEF read_32() Attempting to read past end
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am totally flumoxed as to what to do about this ... the only thread i
could find in the archives is titled "Exim] Slightly offtopic: Exiscan
problem" - this has not helped me though - all i know is that exiscan is
having a problem with an attachment WINMAIL458.DAT"

we are running exim 4.04 with exiscan 4.04-5 and uvscan

thanks in advance for any help!
Alexei

Alexei Moulton
Systems Developer
Cambridge University Press
01223 32 6035
Re: Malformed SMTP reply [ In reply to ]
Alexei Moulton wrote:

> amoulton@cambridge.org
> Delay reason: Malformed SMTP reply from sun1.cup.cam.ac.uk [131.111.148.1]

That was a bug (or better, a leftover debug message) in the ripmime
library included in exiscan. It only occured on somehow obsfucated TNEF
packs.

> we are running exim 4.04 with exiscan 4.04-5 and uvscan

please update, the problem has been fixed for quite some time :)

regards,

/tom