Mailing List Archive

smarthost, AUTH and different identities
Hi,

I'm using (Debian) Linux with exim v3. I try to have a setup as follows:

Several users (actually different identites of mine) shall be able to send
mail through my ISP, which uses SMTP auth PLAIN and/or LOGIN, using the same
account at my ISP.

My account at my ISP is ujr and I have a user ujr on my home PC. SMTP auth
works (config see below). However, if I'm logged in as another user, say
`test', mail is rejected. As far as I can tell from the log, this is related
to the fact, that exim appends AUTH to the mail commands.

How can I prevent that?

Now the relevant part of the config file:
remote_smtp:
driver = smtp
authenticate_hosts = postman.arcor.de
plain:
driver = plaintext
public_name = PLAIN
client_send = "^ujr^secret"

From the docs I found on google, this should work. But postman.arcor.de
complains about the sender's domain. However, this should not be the
reason, because the user ujr@p6.jaroe.de can send mail. BTW, the reason
for the freeze is, that I first sent the mail before the dial-in was
complete. I only included it for completeness.

2002-07-22 16:42:52 17WeOi-0001Iw-00 <= test@p6.jaroe.de U=test P=local S=318
2002-07-22 16:42:52 17WeOi-0001Iw-00 == ujr@physik.phy.tu-dresden.de R=smarthost defer (-37): host
lookup for postman.arcor.de did not complete (DNS timeout?)
2002-07-22 16:43:06 Start queue run: pid=5032 -qf
2002-07-22 16:43:06 17WeEV-0001ID-00 Message is frozen
2002-07-22 16:43:07 17WeOi-0001Iw-00 ** ujr@physik.phy.tu-dresden.de R=smarthost T=remote_smtp: SMTP
error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM:<test@p6.jaroe.de> SIZE=1351 AUTH=test@p6.jaroe.de: host
postman.arcor-online.net [151.189.0.87]: 553 5.1.8 <test@p6.jaroe.de>... Domain of sender address
test@p6.jaroe.de does not exist
2002-07-22 16:43:08 17WeOy-0001JD-00 <= <> R=17WeOi-0001Iw-00 U=mail P=local S=1333
2002-07-22 16:43:08 17WeOi-0001Iw-00 Error message sent to test@p6.jaroe.de
2002-07-22 16:43:08 17WeOi-0001Iw-00 Completed
2002-07-22 16:43:08 17WeOy-0001JD-00 => test <test@p6.jaroe.de> D=localuser T=local_delivery
2002-07-22 16:43:08 17WeOy-0001JD-00 Completed
2002-07-22 16:43:08 End queue run: pid=5032 -qf

The setup I try should not be too strange. How can this be done if the above will never
work?

Thank you!
Ulf
Re: smarthost, AUTH and different identities [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Ulf Jaenicke-Roessler wrote:

> 2002-07-22 16:43:07 17WeOi-0001Iw-00 ** ujr@physik.phy.tu-dresden.de R=smarthost T=remote_smtp: SMTP
> error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM:<test@p6.jaroe.de> SIZE=1351 AUTH=test@p6.jaroe.de: host
> postman.arcor-online.net [151.189.0.87]: 553 5.1.8 <test@p6.jaroe.de>... Domain of sender address
> test@p6.jaroe.de does not exist

That seems correct. I cannot find p6.jaroe.de in the DNS.

--
Philip Hazel University of Cambridge Computing Service,
ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.
RE: smarthost, AUTH and different identities [ In reply to ]
Hello,

thank you for your message.

Actually this is a somewhat local domain. So three questions arise:

1) Why does it work for one user, and not for any other?
It works for a local user, whose identity is the same as
the identity as registered at the ISP I use for sending mail.

2) How would I configure a correct domain if I dial-in using
different ISP's depending on the time of day?

3) How can I make exim omit the AUTH or sender strings? Or how
can I set it to the registered user?

Thanks,
Ulf
RE: smarthost, AUTH and different identities [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Ulf Jaenicke-Roessler wrote:

> > That seems correct. I cannot find p6.jaroe.de in the DNS.
>
> Actually this is a somewhat local domain. So three questions arise:

So your ISP won't like it. That figures. Most responsible ISPs check the
envelopes of mail from their clients.

> 1) Why does it work for one user, and not for any other?
> It works for a local user, whose identity is the same as
> the identity as registered at the ISP I use for sending mail.

Can't answer that because I don't have enough details.

> 2) How would I configure a correct domain if I dial-in using
> different ISP's depending on the time of day?

You'd have to use the return_path setting on the router to change the
envelope sender appropriately. This could be done with a sufficiently
clever expansion string.

> 3) How can I make exim omit the AUTH or sender strings? Or how
> can I set it to the registered user?

I don't think AUTH is your problem. I think it's the actual envelope
sender address.

RE: smarthost, AUTH and different identities [ In reply to ]
Hello,

Philip Hazel wrote:

> > 1) Why does it work for one user, and not for any other?
> > It works for a local user, whose identity is the same as
> > the identity as registered at the ISP I use for sending mail.
>
> Can't answer that because I don't have enough details.

Yes, I know I had not given enough details - mainly because I do
not have it myself.
Is there any debug setting, which tells me, what exim will send
to my ISP's mail server?

> > 2) How would I configure a correct domain if I dial-in using
> > different ISP's depending on the time of day?
>
> You'd have to use the return_path setting on the router to change the
> envelope sender appropriately. This could be done with a sufficiently
> clever expansion string.

Okay, I'll check this out.

> > 3) How can I make exim omit the AUTH or sender strings? Or how
> > can I set it to the registered user?
>
> I don't think AUTH is your problem. I think it's the actual envelope
> sender address.

The log file said, the ISP's mail server was complaining about the
domain in the AUTH part. Maybe it checks the domain because the
local part is not equal to the registered users name.
Well, I have no idea - and I think the ISP will not officially
support Linux - only Outlook a.s.o. :-(

Thank you so far (now I know who ph10 is [1] :-)

Ulf

[1] to whom spec.txt is referring
RE: smarthost, AUTH and different identities [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Ulf Jaenicke-Roessler wrote:

> Is there any debug setting, which tells me, what exim will send
> to my ISP's mail server?

-v

The log file said:

2002-07-22 16:43:07 17WeOi-0001Iw-00 ** ujr@physik.phy.tu-dresden.de
R=smarthost T=remote_smtp: SMTP
error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM:<test@p6.jaroe.de> SIZE=1351
AUTH=test@p6.jaroe.de: host
postman.arcor-online.net [151.189.0.87]: 553 5.1.8 <test@p6.jaroe.de>... Domain
of sender address
test@p6.jaroe.de does not exist

It isn't complaining about AUTH. It says "Domain of sender address".