Mailing List Archive

Newbie - How to make changes in parameters/options
I have been reading many of the posts and have found some answers that I would like to implement. However, I have no idea how or where to make changes. For example, I want to make the changes mentioned here:
1) "On a PII 400 with 128M of RAM running Linux 2.2.5, I have achieved 36656 messages per hour (outgoing unique messages and recipients). For about a 5 minute period, I was able to achieve an average of 30 messages per second (that would be 108000 m/hour)! We are using: (options that make a difference):

queue_only
split_spool_directory
queue_run_max = 1
remote_max_parallel = 1
We have a cron job hat runs every five minutes that spawns 5 exim -q if there are less that 120 exim processes currently running. We found that by manually controlling the concurrency of exim -q processes contending for the spool for remote_smtp delivery that we gained considerable performance - 10000 m/hour."

2) Q0319: I have some mails on my queues that are sticking around longer than the retry time indicates they should. They are all getting frozen because some remote admin has set their MX record to 127.0.0.1.

A0319: The admin in question is an idiot. Exim will always freeze such messages because they are apparently routed to the local host. To bounce these messages immediately, set

ignore_target_hosts = 127.0.0.1
on the dnslookup router. This causes Exim to completely ignore any hosts with that IP address.

Please note that I did not install Exim and have no experience with maintaining it. The program was done by the people I lease a dedicated server from, but they do not provide customization of the mail system.

Are these command line changes or is there a maintenance tool built into Exim that will allow me to set these parameters/options?

Thanks in advance for any help with getting this done.
Regards, Mike Ingram
Owner / SafelistSmart.com