installed. I've got a public/private key generated.

Can someone point me to the instructions to do this.. Thanks!

Mike
--
Mike Gifford, OpenConcept Consulting, http://www.openconcept.ca
Open Source Web Applications for Social Change.
Featured Client - NDP Leadership Candidate - http://www.billblaikie.org
"An unjust law is no law at all." - Saint Augustine
Re: TLS/SSL & something other than port 25 [ In reply to ]
On 10 Jul 2002, Mike Gifford wrote:

> So I'd like to modify my config so that I can use a port other than 25
> to send mail to another SMTP server.

that's a `port =' option to the smtp transport

> The server that I've contacted has suggested that I can do this if I set
> up TLS/SSL encryption.

you can do it even without ssl.

> However from the docs I'm not sure if this
> should be done in the Makefile or in the config.

both - you have to enable tls support in the makefile, and you have to
configure some stuff (tls_*) in the runtime config. i'm not sure
whether exim supports sending directly to ssmtp servers (ie where you
start with an ssl conncetion from right at the beginning, as oposed to
issung starttls) - does it, anyone ?

> Openssh is already
> installed. I've got a public/private key generated.

wrong path. you need openssl to generate certificates, not openssh to
generate ssh keys :)

i learnt from some recent discussions on the list that a service
called submission or something is used to circumvent these nasty
providers' restriction. you might want to look for that in the
archives.

--
[-]
Re: TLS/SSL & something other than port 25 [ In reply to ]
--
Circa 2002-Jul-10 22:45:59 +0200 dixit Tamas TEVESZ:

:
: both - you have to enable tls support in the makefile, and you have to
: configure some stuff (tls_*) in the runtime config. i'm not sure
: whether exim supports sending directly to ssmtp servers (ie where you
: start with an ssl conncetion from right at the beginning, as oposed to
: issung starttls) - does it, anyone ?

I remember reading that you need stunnel to do that:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/stunnel/

[...]
: i learnt from some recent discussions on the list that a service
: called submission or something is used to circumvent these nasty
: providers' restriction. you might want to look for that in the
: archives.

Yes, the port is tcp/587. However, note that the RFC that describes the
message submission service:

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2476.html

says that the listener on that port is allowed to modify the submitted
message headers and body in certain ways. Just so you know.

--
jim knoble | jmknoble@pobox.com | http://www.pobox.com/~jmknoble/
(GnuPG fingerprint: 31C4:8AAC:F24E:A70C:4000::BBF4:289F:EAA8:1381:1491)
Re: TLS/SSL & something other than port 25 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 16:45, Tamas TEVESZ wrote:
> On 10 Jul 2002, Mike Gifford wrote:
> > So I'd like to modify my config so that I can use a port other than 25
> > to send mail to another SMTP server.
> that's a `port =' option to the smtp transport

so in
/etc/exim/configure

within the section:

# TRANSPORTS CONFIGURATION #

I would just add:
port = 26

and exim would start sending stuff out on port 26?

> > The server that I've contacted has suggested that I can do this if I set
> > up TLS/SSL encryption.
> you can do it even without ssl.

Great..

> > However from the docs I'm not sure if this
> > should be done in the Makefile or in the config.
> both - you have to enable tls support in the makefile, and you have to
> configure some stuff (tls_*) in the runtime config. i'm not sure
> whether exim supports sending directly to ssmtp servers (ie where you
> start with an ssl conncetion from right at the beginning, as oposed to
> issung starttls) - does it, anyone ?

Now the runtime config is:
/etc/exim/configure

And the make file that I want to modify is:
exim-4.04/Makefile

or is it:
exim-4.04/scripts/ConfigureMakefile

And when I know which file I am to modify, I should (according to this
doc):
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.00/doc/html/spec_36.html

So I'd just insert this at the top of exim-4.04/Makefile (if that's the
right one) and then configure, make, makeinstall as usual??
SUPPORT_TLS=yes
TLS_LIBS=-L/usr/local/openssl/lib -lssl -lcrypto
TLS_INCLUDE=/usr/include/openssl/

I'm not sure what's supposed to go in the runtime config at all.. I
can't just put:
tls_* in and don't know where the list of functions is..

> > Openssh is already
> > installed. I've got a public/private key generated.
> wrong path. you need openssl to generate certificates, not openssh to
> generate ssh keys :)

but you said I could do it without ssl???

> i learnt from some recent discussions on the list that a service
> called submission or something is used to circumvent these nasty
> providers' restriction. you might want to look for that in the
> archives.

Searching the archives:
http://www.exim.org/cgi-bin/htsearch

There are 152 references to:
[Exim] Submission port

I think this is the topic thread, but if someone has a more specific
link it would help a lot.

Mike
Re: TLS/SSL & something other than port 25 [ In reply to ]
--
On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 05:56:28PM -0400, Mike Gifford wrote:
| On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 16:45, Tamas TEVESZ wrote:
| > On 10 Jul 2002, Mike Gifford wrote:

| > > However from the docs I'm not sure if this
| > > should be done in the Makefile or in the config.
| > both - you have to enable tls support in the makefile, and you have to
| > configure some stuff (tls_*) in the runtime config. i'm not sure
| > whether exim supports sending directly to ssmtp servers (ie where you
| > start with an ssl conncetion from right at the beginning, as oposed to
| > issung starttls) - does it, anyone ?
|
| Now the runtime config is:
| /etc/exim/configure
|
| And the make file that I want to modify is:
| exim-4.04/Makefile

No, it's exim-4.04/Local/Makefile. Read exim-4.04/src/EDITME first.
As long as you're going to recompile, you might as well get version
4.05.

| I'm not sure what's supposed to go in the runtime config at all.. I
| can't just put:
| tls_* in and don't know where the list of functions is..

It's all in the spec. See exim-4.04/doc/spec.txt.

| > > Openssh is already installed. I've got a public/private key
| > > generated.
| > wrong path. you need openssl to generate certificates, not openssh to
| > generate ssh keys :)
|
| but you said I could do it without ssl???

That's right, but you mixed up 'ssh' and 'ssl' in your original post.

HTH,
-D

--

He who finds a wife finds what is good