where email is delivered locally ?) and how successful it's been ?

Cheers,
Paul.
Paul Matthews Head of Networking/Postmaster
Library and Information Services,
University of Wales Swansea , Singleton Park, Swansea SA2 8PP, UK

email: P.W.Matthews@swansea.ac.uk postmaster@swansea.ac.uk
tel: +44 (0)1792 295107 mobile: 07802166089 fax: +44 (0)1792 295851
Re: exim-4.05 and spamassassin - A Good Idea ? [ In reply to ]
--
On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 03:20:47PM +0100, Paul Matthews wrote:

| We are running exim-4.05, using it as a mail hub sending email out to
| various NT/Unix/Novell boxes around campus (no local accounts on the
| exim box).
|
| We are (along with most other sites I'd imagine) getting increasing
| amounts of spam/unsolicited bulk email. I was wondering if anyone has
| used spamassassin in such a mail hub set up (is it designed to work
| where email is delivered locally ?) and how successful it's been ?

It is quite easy to use SA on such a system (though I don't have that
type of setup myself). The easiest way is to use sa-exim (you can
find links on my site or google). You could also use the other
configuration documented at my site. Just adjust the router options
to handle all mail, not just locally delivered mail.

The only thing you need to check is how much of a load will that put
on the system, and can your system handle that load. Many factors
affect that, including the amount of mail transfered, the rate at
which it is received, the size of messages, and any conditions you may
choose to let a message bypass SA altogether.

-D

--

Q: What is the difference betwee open-source and commercial software?
A: If you have a problem with commercial software you can call a phone

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/

Re: exim-4.05 and spamassassin - A Good Idea ? [ In reply to ]
On 10-Jul-2002 at 14:20:47 Paul Matthews wrote:
> We are running exim-4.05, using it as a mail hub sending email out to
> various NT/Unix/Novell boxes around campus (no local accounts on the
> exim box).
>
> We are (along with most other sites I'd imagine) getting increasing
> amounts of spam/unsolicited bulk email. I was wondering if anyone has
> used spamassassin in such a mail hub set up (is it designed to work
> where email is delivered locally ?) and how successful it's been ?

I hope it's a good idea because we are about to do it :-) We shall upgraded
our central mailhubs to Solaris 9, exim to 4.05 and SA to the latest
version. So far it has worked well, but they sometimes come under a load
when a message arrives with a lot of recipients (it seems). That will be
because we have SA checking the message for each recipient - not the best
way but the easiest to implement for us. The mailhubs are Ultra 10's, and
very soon drop down to a low utilisation level.

Hope it helps,

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: jhorne@plymouth.ac.uk