1) Anyone has a quick howto, or config files to send for me to configure Exim + LDAP?
2) Anyone knows about POP and IMAP servers with LDAP support? What configuration I have to use?
TIA, Paulo Henrique

--
Paulo Henrique B de Oliveira
Gerente de Operações - Linux Solutions - http://www.linuxsolutions.com.br
O maior conteúdo de Linux em língua portuguesa - OLinux - http://www.olinux.com.br
(21) 2526-7262 ramal 31
Re: Exim (and POP/IMAP) with LDAP [ In reply to ]
Paulo,

At 18:10 (GMT+0000) on 6-July-2002, Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm new with LDAP, I only put it to work to serve adressbook with Netscape and Outlook. ;)

I turst your outlook users are simple users, as I can guarantee to
crash any outlook client if the user types in names with certain
characters. Miscrosoft have confirmed the issue happens even when
Activedirectory is used as the LDAP server.

> Now I have to install LDAP in a server with 600 users and autenticate them with Exim and a POP and IMAP servers.
> I have some questions?
> 1) Anyone has a quick howto, or config files to send for me to configure Exim + LDAP?

I am not sure what you are wanting to do. Schlumberger have Exim
hooked into LDAP for some fancy mail forwarding and bounce handling,
but this does not include storing mail in local user mailboxes. The
set up includes the use of perl to do some of the string
manipulations.

Let me know if you would like more information on this example.

> 2) Anyone knows about POP and IMAP servers with LDAP support? What configuration I have to use?

I know of people using iPlanet's Messenger and the Sendmail Pro
products with LDAP for user authentication with POP and IMAP
clients. (I suspect that you're really after public domain solution,
so these pointers may not help.)

Cheers,

Douglas.

--

================================
Douglas GRAY STEPHENS

Phone +44 1223 325295
Mobile +44 773 0051628
Fax +44 1223 311830
Email DGrayStephens@slb.com
================================
Re: Exim (and POP/IMAP) with LDAP [ In reply to ]
> > 2) Anyone knows about POP and IMAP servers with LDAP support? What configuration I have to use?
>
> I know of people using iPlanet's Messenger and the Sendmail Pro
> products with LDAP for user authentication with POP and IMAP
> clients. (I suspect that you're really after public domain solution,
> so these pointers may not help.)

One can use Courier Imap server, its got the pop and imap servers as well as LDAP
authentication, have successfully hooked it to a Iplanet Directory Server 4.x,
draw back is you have to use maildirs that is a a drawback if you don't know
what maildirs are :) :)

--
Aly Dharshi
aly.dharshi@uleth.ca

"A good speech is like a good dress
that's short enough to be interesting
and long enough to cover the subject"
Re: Exim (and POP/IMAP) with LDAP [ In reply to ]
--
On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 08:39:13AM -0500, Douglas Gray Stephens wrote:
| At 18:10 (GMT+0000) on 6-July-2002, Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira wrote:
| > I'm new with LDAP, I only put it to work to serve adressbook with
| > Netscape and Outlook. ;)
|
| I trust your outlook users are simple users, as I can guarantee to
| crash any outlook client if the user types in names with certain
| characters. Miscrosoft have confirmed the issue happens even when
| Activedirectory is used as the LDAP server.

ROFL!

Do you have pointers to specifics on this? I'd like to read the (MS
or otherwise) writeups on the bug.

While I'm at it, does anyone remember where the "outlook howto" is for
sending a Bcc message without triggering the <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
bug? I read it once (it was well-written, IMO) but haven't been able
to find it via google.

-D

--

Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge,
but he who hates correction is stupid.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/

Re: Exim (and POP/IMAP) with LDAP [ In reply to ]
Hi,
I would like more info by Schlumberger (Exim with LDAP).
Much thanks, Paulo Henrique

Re: Re: Exim (and POP/IMAP) with LDAP [ In reply to ]
Derrick,

I hesitated before replying to the list, as it is slightly off topic,
and I have no desires to get into a Microsoft flame war, but my reply
does reference RFC822, which is a topic for this list.

At 15:52 (GMT-0500) on 7-July-2002, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> --
> On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 08:39:13AM -0500, Douglas Gray Stephens wrote:
> | At 18:10 (GMT+0000) on 6-July-2002, Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira wrote:
> | > I'm new with LDAP, I only put it to work to serve adressbook with
> | > Netscape and Outlook. ;)
> |
> | I trust your outlook users are simple users, as I can guarantee to
> | crash any outlook client if the user types in names with certain
> | characters. Miscrosoft have confirmed the issue happens even when
> | Activedirectory is used as the LDAP server.
>
> ROFL!
>
> Do you have pointers to specifics on this? I'd like to read the (MS
> or otherwise) writeups on the bug.

The last I heard from Microsoft was at the start of 2001:
Subject: RE: Email for Case SRX001023608625
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 08:16:28 -0800

I have gotten further repro's of the error against a Windows 2000 AD server
and will be escalating this issue.

OL2000 in Corporate/Workgroup mode simply fails to resolve "test (foo)" when
using an LDAP address provider, even though a search on "test" returns that
address in the list of results. Outlook Express 5 resolved the address
brilliantly, even without quotation marks.

OL2000 in IMO mode, however, produces a Dr. Watson and user dump. I noted
when it produces the dump, it does not even send an LDAP request: the
problem therefore is in the Outlook 2000 product itself and not in the
server-side implementation of LDAP.

I'll keep you posted on progress with this case.

Dean Webb, MCSE, MCPWIVGFHREAWLS

(Microsoft Certified Person Who Is Very Glad to Finally Have a Reproduction
of the Error Against a Windows 2000 LDAP Server)

The error still happens in Outlook 2000 with SR1, and Microsoft have
not closed the issue (I think that they may not consider that there is
a business case to fix the issues, as people should be using Exchange
....).

There is also an issue with Outlook in internet mode (not exchange
mode) and compliance to RFC822
comments should be retained while the message is subject to
interpretation according to this standard
as it cannot handle address like
To: Douglas Gray Stephens <DGrayStephens@slb.com> (LDAP geru)

Outlook in corporate mode (so talking to Exchange) is let off the
hook, as the standards says that comments can be dropped in protocol
exchanges (so SMTP -> Exchange -> outlook or
outlook->exchange->smtp).

Finally an unrelated Outlook issue is in the addresses. Schlumberger
has the ability to mail people based on an LDAP filter, e.g. an
address
To: "(&(cn=douglas*)(c=gb))" <some-internal-address@slb.com>
would reach all people matching the LDAP filter
"(&(cn=douglas*)(c=gb))"
but Microsoft think that a user could not have meant to type
that, so corrects the address, and so mails out
"\"\(&\(cn=douglas*\)\(c=gb\)\)\"" <some-internal-address@slb.com>

Cheers,

Douglas.

--