all hints are appreciated.

Thanks,
Miles Muri
Re: Install woes... [ In reply to ]
Miles Muri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Firstly, excuse me if this topic has been covered already, but I
> couldn't find the answers I was looking for in the list archives.
>
> I am trying to replace Sendmail on a RedHat 7.0 system, but I'm running
> into a number of problems:
>
> 1) Sendmail uninstall - I know I will have to use the --nodeps flag, but
> currently it is claiming deps on mutt and on fetchmail. I know mutt will
> not be a problem, but what about fetchmail?

The have as their dependancies smpt_daemon, basically they just need
something that talks smtp, EXIM works very well.

> 2) I am trying to use the rpms from ftp.exim.org - I have tried both the
> 4.x and the 3.x rpms - and they both need openssl-0.9.6b. I have
> openssl-0.9.6-9 which I believe is the highest I can go on rh7.0. Also,
> is libdb-3.2.so a part of openssl or is it from another package?

You can get the official Red Hat rpms from the powertools and also from
the Red Hat Network.

I have a copy of them here:

http://www.harkness.co.uk/files/others/exim-3.22-10.i386.rpm
http://www.harkness.co.uk/files/others/exim-doc-3.22-10.i386.rpm
http://www.harkness.co.uk/files/others/exim-mon-3.22-10.i386.rpm

> For right now, I don't want to uninstall Sendmail until I am sure that I
> can get Exim up and running to replace it shortly afterwards. Any and
> all hints are appreciated.

Sendmail will reinstall as easily as it uninstalls, just make sure you
back up your configuration files before you do so.

Kind regards
Xander
Re: Install woes... [ In reply to ]
Miles Muri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Firstly, excuse me if this topic has been covered already, but I
> couldn't find the answers I was looking for in the list archives.
>
> I am trying to replace Sendmail on a RedHat 7.0 system, but I'm running
> into a number of problems:
>
> 1) Sendmail uninstall - I know I will have to use the --nodeps flag, but
> currently it is claiming deps on mutt and on fetchmail. I know mutt will
> not be a problem, but what about fetchmail?
>
> 2) I am trying to use the rpms from ftp.exim.org - I have tried both the
> 4.x and the 3.x rpms - and they both need openssl-0.9.6b. I have
> openssl-0.9.6-9 which I believe is the highest I can go on rh7.0. Also,
> is libdb-3.2.so a part of openssl or is it from another package?

libdb-3.2.so is most likely part of the db3-3.2.9 rpm. You can see what
is part of the openssl-0.9.6-9 rpm by using the following command.

rpm -lq openssl