Mailing List Archive

Local_scan errors, help requested.
Hello,

I am seeing the following in my logs after installing the exiscan patches to Exim 4.04 and using with sophie:

2002-06-26 00:25:17 17N4Hx-000FLB-00 local_scan() function timed out - message t
emporarily rejected

This is causing some grief as it leaves the message in /var/spool/exim/scan and remains there. Has anyone seen this before and know what causes this and even better, how to resolve this?

Many thanks in advance,
Jeff

---
Re: Local_scan errors, help requested. [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 02:49:39PM -0400, Jeffrey Wheat (jeff@nt.cetlink.net) wrote:

> I am seeing the following in my logs after installing the
> exiscan patches to Exim 4.04 and using with sophie:

> 2002-06-26 00:25:17 17N4Hx-000FLB-00 local_scan() function timed out - message t
> emporarily rejected

Looks like sophie has a problem and hangs for some reason. It must
be running, else the connect to the unix socket would have failed.

Let me just quote from my README:

# Sophie opens a unix socket in your file system. The default is
# /var/run/sophie. Uncomment and, if necessary, change the option below.
# Please make sure that exim can access that socket (permissions!).
# Also make sure that the user that Sophie runs with (./configure
# option !!) is allowed to read the exim queue directory.
# Sophie drops privileges, so while it may show up as running as root
# in 'ps', it may have set its effective UID to another user !
# Ideally, exims and sophies effective user settings should be the same.

Does all that apply to your system ? :)

regards,

/tom

--
Tom Kistner <tom@duncanthrax.net>
ICQ 1501527 dcanthrax@efnet
Re: Local_scan errors, help requested. [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Jeffrey Wheat wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am seeing the following in my logs after installing the exiscan patches to Exim 4.04 and using with sophie:
>
> 2002-06-26 00:25:17 17N4Hx-000FLB-00 local_scan() function timed out - message t
> emporarily rejected

What is the default local_scan timeout? If your machine is heavily
loaded, and you are scanning very large messages, it can take a while.
If your scanner can scan e-mail messages, you might want to disable the
unpack MIME option (I know Kaspersky can scan Exim messages as-is). This
really speeds up Exiscan, and the MIME unpacker can be thrown off by
improperly formatted messages and create 100,000+ empty files in the scan
directory. That takes a long time by itself, let alone the scan time.

Tom