using the RBL selectively with a handful of users at first and then later
include all users at their request. It looks like I can do this by
specifying all users with the recipients_reject_except tag. There are
roughly 100 users that I would want to do this for. Is there a way to point
this tag to a file, or can I just include a list separated by commas? Is
there a better way to do this? Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Chad Butler
Re: Using the RBL selectively [ In reply to ]
Butler, Chad(cbutler@ceramatec.com)@2002.06.10 14:58:55 +0000:
> This is my first post to this list, and I should forewarn you that I am by
> no means an Exim expert. Please excuse my ignorance.
>
> I have been using Exim for some time now with no problems whatsoever. Now I
> would like to expand our usage of it to allow filtering based on the RBL.
> The documentation seems to be fairly straight-forward, but I have one point
> of uncertainty I'm hoping to receive guidance on. I would like to begin
> using the RBL selectively with a handful of users at first and then later
> include all users at their request. It looks like I can do this by
> specifying all users with the recipients_reject_except tag. There are
> roughly 100 users that I would want to do this for. Is there a way to point
> this tag to a file, or can I just include a list separated by commas? Is
> there a better way to do this? Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chad Butler

Go ahead and add an rbl_domains list, but you may wish exim to put a
warning in the email instead of reject it outright at first. Then let the
users determine in a .forward exim filter file if they wish to /dev/null
the email.

rbl_domains = relays.ordb.org/warn : relays.osirusoft.com/warn
rbl_log_headers

And, of course, there are other methods of spam prevention. Look into
spamassassin for nice and neat results. Using host_reject is another
method which rejects based on IP address/range.

Personally, I may be on the extreme side of spam prevention getting inside
my domain.

receiver_verify
sender_verify
headers_check_syntax
headers_sender_verify
sender_reject_recipients = ! /etc/exim/whitelist : \
dbm;/etc/exim/spammers.db
host_reject = dbm;/etc/exim/LARTed.db

My spammers file and LARTed list may be found at
http://www.smnolde.com:7080/exim/

BTW - spamassassin does rbl checks against osirusoft.com, too, but against
all the headers in the email, making it doubler-plus good.

YMMV

- Scott
--
Scott Nolde
GPG Key 0xD869AB48
Re: Using the RBL selectively [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 02:58:55PM -0600,
Butler, Chad <cbutler@ceramatec.com> is thought to have said:

> I have been using Exim for some time now with no problems whatsoever. Now I
> would like to expand our usage of it to allow filtering based on the RBL.
> The documentation seems to be fairly straight-forward, but I have one point
> of uncertainty I'm hoping to receive guidance on. I would like to begin
> using the RBL selectively with a handful of users at first and then later
> include all users at their request. It looks like I can do this by
> specifying all users with the recipients_reject_except tag. There are
> roughly 100 users that I would want to do this for. Is there a way to point
> this tag to a file, or can I just include a list separated by commas? Is
> there a better way to do this? Any advice would be appreciated.

recipients_reject_except is an address list. See Section 7.16 of the
Specification for details on what that looks like
(http://www.us.exim.org/exim-html-3.30/doc/html/spec_7.html#IDX523)

Tabor
Tabor J. Wells twells@fsckit.net
Fsck It! Just another victim of the ambient morality