Lionel

dangerous content by Esnaola/SOPHOS, and is
believed to be clean.
Re: size limitation [ In reply to ]
On 10 June 2002, Exim User said:
> Under postfix I have the possibility to define a limit size for emails.
> Can I do the same with exim, if yes where and how ?? In the same time
> can I define a size for specifics accounts and another size for other
> accounts ?

Go to the Exim specification for the version you are using (www.exim.org
and follow the "Documentation" link). Find the concept index. Lookup
"size".

Greg
Re: size limitation [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 06:04:34PM +0200, Exim User wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm newbie with exim. Before I used postfix but the integration of
> mailscanner + sophos seems better with exim and in fact I use debian and
> exim is per default.
> Under postfix I have the possibility to define a limit size for emails.
> Can I do the same with exim, if yes where and how ?? In the same time
> can I define a size for specifics accounts and another size for other
> accounts ?

message_size_limit

O.

--
Oliver Cook Systems Administrator, ClaraNET
ollie@uk.clara.net 020 7903 3065
Re: size limitation [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2002-06-10 at 18:09, Greg Ward wrote:
> On 10 June 2002, Exim User said:
> > Under postfix I have the possibility to define a limit size for emails.
> > Can I do the same with exim, if yes where and how ?? In the same time
> > can I define a size for specifics accounts and another size for other
> > accounts ?
>
> Go to the Exim specification for the version you are using (www.exim.org
> and follow the "Documentation" link). Find the concept index. Lookup
> "size".
>
> Greg

Thanx for your help...I suppose I can find a same solution on the way
for incoming email size ?!! ;)) or I neeed to use a filter ?

see ya,

Re: size limitation [ In reply to ]
Thanx for all,
I suppose i can do message_size_limit = 2M
And what about incoming mail must I do a filter to refuse big email same
as 40M or there is another solution ?

See ya,

Lionel

Re: size limitation [ In reply to ]
--
On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 06:36:15PM +0200, Exim User wrote:
| Thanx for all,
| I suppose i can do message_size_limit = 2M
| And what about incoming mail must I do a filter to refuse big email same
| as 40M or there is another solution ?

RTM :

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.00/doc/html/spec_13.html#IX835

Incoming SMTP messages are failed with a 552 error if the limit is
exceeded;

That option does what you are asking for.

HAND,
-D

--

It took the computational power of three Commodore 64s to fly to the moon.
It takes at least a 486 to run Windows 95.

Re: size limitation [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2002-06-10 at 18:11, Ollie Cook wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 06:04:34PM +0200, Exim User wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I'm newbie with exim. Before I used postfix but the integration of
> > mailscanner + sophos seems better with exim and in fact I use debian and
> > exim is per default.
> > Under postfix I have the possibility to define a limit size for emails.
> > Can I do the same with exim, if yes where and how ?? In the same time
> > can I define a size for specifics accounts and another size for other
> > accounts ?
>
> message_size_limit
>
> O.
>
> --
> Oliver Cook Systems Administrator, ClaraNET
> ollie@uk.clara.net 020 7903 3065

> dangerous content by Esnaola/SOPHOS, and is
> believed to be clean.

I put message_size_limit = 5M in the main configuration and I arrive to
send email of 7M !!
I mage some mistakes ??!!

Re: size limitation [ In reply to ]
On 10 Jun 2002, Lionel Darnis wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-06-10 at 18:09, Greg Ward wrote:
> > On 10 June 2002, Exim User said:
> > > Under postfix I have the possibility to define a limit size for emails.
> > > Can I do the same with exim, if yes where and how ?? In the same time
> > > can I define a size for specifics accounts and another size for other
> > > accounts ?
> >
> > Go to the Exim specification for the version you are using (www.exim.org
> > and follow the "Documentation" link). Find the concept index. Lookup
> > "size".
> >
> > Greg
> >
> Thanx for your help...I suppose I can find a same solution on the way
> for incoming email size ?!! ;)) or I neeed to use a filter ?

As opposed to what?

The message_size_limit affects the size of messages exim will accept..
If exim is accepting a message, it is by definition an 'incoming'
message.

I think you are understanding a different meaning of that term than we
are..

Here are some examples, which I think might clear you up...

Some person out on the 'Internet' sends a message to foo@esnalo.org. He
delivers it to his ISP's mail server, which in turn connects to your
server. This is an 'incoming message', as it is coming in from another
host. Your server accepts it (assuming thats a valid address), and
delivers it. (possibly into /var/spool/mail/foo, if thats where your
user mailboxes are)

Some person who is one of your customers, sends a message to
foo@esnalo.org. He delivers it to your server. This is also, still, an
'incoming' message, as it is 'coming in' from your customer. Your server
accepts it, and delivers it. (same as above)

Some person who is one of your customers, sends a message to
foo@yahoo.com. He delivers it to your server. This is also, still, an
'incoming' message, as it is 'coming in' from your customer. Your server
accepts it, and delivers it. (probably by usimg SMTP to deliver it to
the MX hosts for yahoo.com)
Re: size limitation [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2002-06-10 at 20:20, Dave C. wrote:
> On 10 Jun 2002, Lionel Darnis wrote:

> > > Go to the Exim specification for the version you are using (www.exim.org
> > > and follow the "Documentation" link). Find the concept index. Lookup
> > > "size".
> > >
> > > Greg
> > >
> > Thanx for your help...I suppose I can find a same solution on the way
> > for incoming email size ?!! ;)) or I neeed to use a filter ?
>
> As opposed to what?
>
> The message_size_limit affects the size of messages exim will accept..
> If exim is accepting a message, it is by definition an 'incoming'
> message.
>
> I think you are understanding a different meaning of that term than we
> are..
>

> Here are some examples, which I think might clear you up...
>

> Some person out on the 'Internet' sends a message to foo@esnalo.org. He
> delivers it to his ISP's mail server, which in turn connects to your
> server. This is an 'incoming message', as it is coming in from another
> host. Your server accepts it (assuming thats a valid address), and
> delivers it. (possibly into /var/spool/mail/foo, if thats where your
> user mailboxes are)
>
> Some person who is one of your customers, sends a message to
> foo@esnalo.org. He delivers it to your server. This is also, still, an
> 'incoming' message, as it is 'coming in' from your customer. Your server
> accepts it, and delivers it. (same as above)
>
> Some person who is one of your customers, sends a message to
> foo@yahoo.com. He delivers it to your server. This is also, still, an
> 'incoming' message, as it is 'coming in' from your customer. Your server
> accepts it, and delivers it. (probably by usimg SMTP to deliver it to
> the MX hosts for yahoo.com)

> dangerous content by Esnaola/SOPHOS, and is
> believed to be clean.

Thanx ...A mistake from me .... ;-)