Harald Schueler

Universitaet Essen, Hochschulrechenzentrum,
Essen, Germany. Phone: +49 201 1832998
Re: Exim 4 and AUTH over TLS only [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Harald Schueler wrote:

> When trying to convert our outgoing servers to Exim 4, I noticed that
> "auth_over_tls_hosts" is gone (handled by ACLs).

> (I tried advertising AUTH only to clients which really have to AUTH to
> be allowed to relay, but this lead to other problems with roaming
> notebooks (sometimes on our network, sometimes over other ISPs) and mail
> clients which use fixed settings for TLS and AUTH, and which depend on
> seeing AUTH, once configured to authenticate to the server.)

Do the notebooks have the same IP when on your network and with
another ISP ? I'd have thought that that was a good case for DHCP,
and then your servers would be able to tell which network the
notebook is on.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@dpmms.cam.ac.uk http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna
Re: Exim 4 and AUTH over TLS only [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Harald Schueler wrote:

> When trying to convert our outgoing servers to Exim 4, I noticed that
> "auth_over_tls_hosts" is gone (handled by ACLs). Unfortunately AUTH is
> now always advertised, even if it is only possible over TLS.

auth_advertise_hosts = ${if eq{$tls_cipher}{}{}{*}}

In other words: "If $tls_cipher is unset, advertise to no hosts;
otherwise, advertise to all hosts."

--
Philip Hazel University of Cambridge Computing Service,
ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.
Re: Exim 4 and AUTH over TLS only [ In reply to ]
Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Harald Schueler wrote:
>
>>When trying to convert our outgoing servers to Exim 4, I noticed that
>>"auth_over_tls_hosts" is gone (handled by ACLs). Unfortunately AUTH is
>>now always advertised, even if it is only possible over TLS.
>
> auth_advertise_hosts = ${if eq{$tls_cipher}{}{}{*}}
>
> In other words: "If $tls_cipher is unset, advertise to no hosts;
> otherwise, advertise to all hosts."

Ah, the power of expansion... 8) That was just what I was looking for.

Could/should this be done automatically by convert4r4?

Re: Exim 4 and AUTH over TLS only [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Harald Schueler wrote:

> > In other words: "If $tls_cipher is unset, advertise to no hosts;
> > otherwise, advertise to all hosts."
>
> Ah, the power of expansion... 8) That was just what I was looking for.
>
> Could/should this be done automatically by convert4r4?

I suspect not, because it would be too tricky to unpick a general
auth_over_tls_hosts setting. I am, however, intending to put this
example into the next edition of the Exim 4 manual.