--John (fearing an RTFM with a reference to well-known answers)
--
John Baxter jwblist@olympus.net Port Ludlow, WA, USA
Re: Mail clients vs SMTP AUTH methods [ In reply to ]
On 6 Jun 2002, at 12:40, John W Baxter wrote:
> Specific question: do those of us here know of any somewhat or very
> popular email client which will only use CRAM-MD5 of the SMTP AUTH methods
> accepted by Exim?
Pegasus mail

Leonardo Boselli
Firenze
http://www.toscanarail.org
Re: Mail clients vs SMTP AUTH methods [ In reply to ]
Re: Mail clients vs SMTP AUTH methods [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> "Leonardo Boselli" <leo@dicea.unifi.it> writes:
> > On 6 Jun 2002, at 12:40, John W Baxter wrote:
> >> Specific question: do those of us here know of any somewhat or very
> >> popular email client which will only use CRAM-MD5 of the SMTP AUTH methods
> >> accepted by Exim?
> > Pegasus mail
> Which version would that be? Pegasus 4.x uses login pretty happily.

3.12 ... since 4.x does not add tto many usefus feature, but a couple of
these can easily lead to errors [say sending HTML messages], since me and
all people that I know about has kept 3.12 !
Re: Mail clients vs SMTP AUTH methods [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, John W Baxter wrote:

> Specific question: do those of us here know of any somewhat or very
> popular email client which will only use CRAM-MD5 of the SMTP AUTH methods
> accepted by Exim?

unlikely any, i'd say. just thinking, if i were to write a mua, and i
implemented cram-md5, the other two are so damn simple i'd implement
them even just for fun or pr.

> And another: how about the proxy that Norton AntiVirus sticks into the
> data flow on outgoing messages?

nav. because you deserve it(tm).

:)

--
[-]
Re: Mail clients vs SMTP AUTH methods [ In reply to ]
Leonardo Boselli <leo@dicea.unifi.it> writes:

> 3.12 ... since 4.x does not add tto many usefus feature, but a couple of
> these can easily lead to errors [say sending HTML messages], since me and
> all people that I know about has kept 3.12 !

Ah. I have not used pegasus since 3.12 came out (switched to linux /
freebsd on my desktop and mutt / emacs as my MUA). Then had to install
pegasus 4.x as I was stuck in a linux-less environment for about a month
or so recently.

Was quite impressed by its having changed for the better. Lots of stuff
that I'd been wanting in 3.x - and stuff I didn't want at all (like html
support and such - but that can be turned off I think).

-srs
Re: Mail clients vs SMTP AUTH methods [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 07:49:04AM +0200, Leonardo Boselli wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> > > Pegasus mail
> > Which version would that be? Pegasus 4.x uses login pretty happily.
>
> 3.12 ... since 4.x does not add tto many usefus feature, but a couple of
> these can easily lead to errors [say sending HTML messages], since me and
> all people that I know about has kept 3.12 !

3.12 uses LOGIN and PLAIN quite happily. Our auth service can only
use LOGIN and PLAIN and we have a large Pegasus user base.

Mike

--
-----Plain text only please - attachments stripped on arrival.------
Copyright 2002 Mike Richardson, Room G98, Manchester Computing