Mailing List Archive

Trouble using Outlook XP with Exim
Re: Trouble using Outlook XP with Exim [ In reply to ]
+++ Peter Grace [exim-users] <04/06/02 09:01 -0500>:
> I've got an issue with Outlook XP not correctly sending e-mail
> through exim. I've confirmed that it works through eudora, so my
> guess is there's something awry with OutlookXP. I know this isn't

Are you using something like smtp auth? If not, some logs at the client and
server side (I think outlook xp will log the smtp transaction) will help.

-srs

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian <----> mallet <at> efn dot org
[Linux One Stanza Tip] From : <kumarayil@eth.net>
Re: Trouble using Outlook XP with Exim [ In reply to ]
+++ Peter Grace [04/06/02 10:35 -0500]:
> Yes, actually, I am using SMTP Auth. Even though connections through
> the local lan do not need to be authenticated, Outlook insists on
> authenticating anyway because it sees the auth info from the EHLO. I

Outlook uses AUTH LOGIN. Or AUTH PLAIN. One of the two, I keep forgetting.

Configuring Exim to advertise and support AUTH PLAIN LOGIN should help

> saw a quick-hack in one of the exim config files to make it so only
> hosts that have to auth receive the auth line in EHLO, but the
> snippet would not work with 4.04.

Just set acl_smtp_auth not to require AUTH for connections from your
LAN IPs - that should do what you want.

-srs

ps - I'd prefer to get on-list replies to posts made on mailing lists ... thx

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian <----> mallet <at> efn dot org
[Linux One Stanza Tip] From : <bish@nde.vsnl.net.in>
Re: Re: Trouble using Outlook XP with Exim [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> Outlook uses AUTH LOGIN. Or AUTH PLAIN. One of the two, I keep forgetting.

login. maybe it can do plain as well, i don't know, but it surely can
do login.

iirc, earlier versions were able to do cram-md5 as well. from what i
gathered yesterday when trying to help a chap set auth up in exim,
outlook xp can't. hail.

--
[-]
Re: Re: Trouble using Outlook XP with Exim [ In reply to ]
+++ Peter Grace <Wednesday 05 June 2002 04:26 am>:
> First of all, my apologies for sending you personal e-mail. The
> mailing list does not set exim-users as the reply to, and so it
> replied to your address.

Sorry. It was rather late. And I was a bit tired.

> outlook without it already checking the e-mail (for instance, no POP
> retrieval at the same time) the e-mail goes through fine. However,
> when the e-mail is being sent while the machine already is sending a
> POP connection, then both connections will eventually time out. This

Could you run a packet sniffer of some kind, and look at logs on outlook and
exim / sendmail?

Might be something as simple as identd or a dns / rdns issue.

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian <----> mallet <at> efn dot org
[Linux One Stanza Tip] From : <mallet@efn.org>
RE: Re: Trouble using Outlook XP with Exim [ In reply to ]

Suresh,

First of all, my apologies for sending you personal e-mail. The
mailing list does not set exim-users as the reply to, and so it
replied to your address.

As for the actual problem,

I was able to test with both enabling and disabling SMTP AUTH. The
problem has taken an interesting twist. When I try sending e-mail in
outlook without it already checking the e-mail (for instance, no POP
retrieval at the same time) the e-mail goes through fine. However,
when the e-mail is being sent while the machine already is sending a
POP connection, then both connections will eventually time out. This
is definitely looking to shape up like an Outlook problem, since I
also tried using the sendmail MTA and had the same results.

Time to bug microsoft....

- -Peter

> Yes, actually, I am using SMTP Auth. Even though connections
> through the local lan do not need to be authenticated, Outlook
> insists on authenticating anyway because it sees the auth info
> from the EHLO. I

Outlook uses AUTH LOGIN. Or AUTH PLAIN. One of the two, I keep
forgetting.

Configuring Exim to advertise and support AUTH PLAIN LOGIN should
help

> saw a quick-hack in one of the exim config files to make it so only
> hosts that have to auth receive the auth line in EHLO, but the
> snippet would not work with 4.04.

Just set acl_smtp_auth not to require AUTH for connections from your
LAN IPs - that should do what you want.

-srs

ps - I'd prefer to get on-list replies to posts made on mailing lists
... thx

- --
Suresh Ramasubramanian <----> mallet <at> efn dot org
[Linux One Stanza Tip] From : <bish@nde.vsnl.net.in>
LOST #257 -**< Sub : Knowing the size of installed binaries >**-
To know file size, permissions, and other details of installed
binaries without going into the necessary path, do: ls -al `which
<binary-file-name>`

- --

Exim details at http://www.exim.org/ ##

- ---