At what point in the "life of the message" is the check for a
message-id header made, and at what point is one generated if missing?

I have a client MUA which generates nontraditional, even if formally
valid, message-ids, and apparently cannot be configured not to do
this. I'd like to replace them with ones generated by exim (for local
submissions only, but I know how to check that).

--
Ian

Re: missing message-id flow [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 09, 2024 at 12:08:30PM -0700, Ian Z via Exim-users wrote:
> At what point in the "life of the message" is the check for a
> message-id header made, and at what point is one generated if missing?

MUA should do it, and MTA may if message-id is missing.

> I have a client MUA which generates nontraditional, even if formally
> valid, message-ids, and apparently cannot be configured not to do
> this. I'd like to replace them with ones generated by exim (for local
> submissions only, but I know how to check that).

Why do you want to do it? What is bad with MUA's message-id?

Technically it can be replaced, but motivation is questionable.
I also suspect there may be problems with DKIM signing.
--
Eugene Berdnikov

Re: missing message-id flow [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 09, 2024 at 11:04:14PM +0300, Evgeniy Berdnikov via Exim-users wrote:

> > At what point in the "life of the message" is the check for a
> > message-id header made, and at what point is one generated if
> > missing?

> MUA should do it, and MTA may if message-id is missing.

My question was about the data flow inside exim. For example, if I set
an acl_m_ variable in the RCPT ACL, to indicate local submission, and
later in a transport I look for this variable and if set, I act on the
message with headers_remove and headers_add, is there any chance of
success?

> > I have a client MUA which generates nontraditional, even if
> > formally valid, message-ids, and apparently cannot be configured
> > not to do this. I'd like to replace them with ones generated by
> > exim (for local submissions only, but I know how to check that).

> Why do you want to do it? What is bad with MUA's message-id?

You can look at this message's headers :-)

--
Ian

Re: missing message-id flow [ In reply to ]
On 09/04/2024 20:08, Ian Z via Exim-users wrote:
> At what point in the "life of the message" is the check for a
> message-id header made, and at what point is one generated if missing?

While Exim is receiving the message off the wire (or stdin), after getting
all the headers and before starting on receiving the body.
Jeremy

Re: missing message-id flow [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 09, 2024 at 02:01:55PM -0700, Ian Z via Exim-users wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 09, 2024 at 11:04:14PM +0300, Evgeniy Berdnikov via Exim-users wrote:
> > MUA should do it, and MTA may if message-id is missing.
>
> My question was about the data flow inside exim. For example, if I set
> an acl_m_ variable in the RCPT ACL, to indicate local submission, and
> later in a transport I look for this variable and if set, I act on the
> message with headers_remove and headers_add, is there any chance of
> success?

Yes, but time required for testing is almost the same as required
to write a question to mail list. :)

> > Why do you want to do it? What is bad with MUA's message-id?
>
> You can look at this message's headers :-)

I've looked, but found no answer what's bad. Probably domain is hashed.
Maybe you want an explicit domain string?
--
Eugene Berdnikov

Re: missing message-id flow [ In reply to ]
D?a 10. 4. o 8:28 Evgeniy Berdnikov via Exim-users napĂ­sal(a):

> I've looked, but found no answer what's bad. Probably domain is hashed.
> Maybe you want an explicit domain string?

The answer is in docs, search for details in add/remove headers, more
precise when they are removed/added.

I have similar problem with not appropriate Message-ID domain part, i do
it in MAIL ACL:

warn conditions = ...
remove_header = Reply-To : Message-ID
set acl_m_mid = gen_new_MID
add_header = :after_received:Message-ID: $acl_m_mid
logwrite = Generated new MID: $acl_m_mid

regards

--
Slavko
https://www.slavino.sk/

Re: missing message-id flow [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 09:29:51AM +0200, Slavko via Exim-users wrote:

> I have similar problem with not appropriate Message-ID domain part,
> i do it in MAIL ACL:

> warn conditions = ...
> remove_header = Reply-To : Message-ID
> set acl_m_mid = gen_new_MID
> add_header = :after_received:Message-ID: $acl_m_mid
> logwrite = Generated new MID: $acl_m_mid

Excellent, this is exactly the answer I was hoping for. Thank you!

> --
> Slavko
> https://www.slavino.sk/

Ian

Re: missing message-id flow [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 09:28:50AM +0300, Evgeniy Berdnikov via Exim-users wrote:

> > > Why do you want to do it? What is bad with MUA's message-id?

> > You can look at this message's headers :-)

> I've looked, but found no answer what's bad. Probably domain is
> hashed. Maybe you want an explicit domain string?

No, it's not a hash. It's all just a single random string, with the
"@" placed to make it "look better". Yes, I want my domain there. Now
solved, thanks.

--
Ian