Mailing List Archive

Receive message sent to list where sender is on
Hello

With exim, if you are a member of a list defined in /etc/aliases and you
send a message to this list, you don't receive a copy of the message you
sent. Can we change this?
Thank you

--

Luís Gomes
IT Manager

Re: Receive message sent to list where sender is on [ In reply to ]
On 30/10/2023 20:00, Luis F. V. Gomes via Exim-users wrote:
> if you are a member of a list defined in /etc/aliases and you send a message to this list, you don't receive a copy of the message you sent

That feels surprising. Can you show logs for a sample case (preferably a short list!) ?

We may also need to see the part of your config that is handling /etc/aliases.
Jeremy

Re: Receive message sent to list where sender is on [ In reply to ]
Hopefully my reply is excess and irrelevant, but it may be worth noting.
We most commonly receive this complaint from our users when a Gmail
account is on the alias list, and that same Gmail account sends the
email to that alias. This being because Gmail uses a conversation view
that doesn't drop an unread message in your inbox which is the exact
same one you just sent, presumably because you wouldn't need a new
unread message in your inbox that you just sent.

Re: Receive message sent to list where sender is on [ In reply to ]
Hello, Jarland

That's an important observation. One of the members of the list does
.forward the messages to GMail and may complaint. But the fact is that
the list I'm talking about does not have any gmail account.

Thank you.

Re: Receive message sent to list where sender is on [ In reply to ]
As asked from Jeremy Harris <jgh@wizmail.org>, I am sending some log
lines and part of /etc/aliases.

I sent 2 messages to the list I'm on.

On the first message I put myself in the Bcc field (that's what I
usually do)

2023-11-06 16:30:38 *1r05Is-003wbk-2b* <= lf@ele.puc-rio.br
<mailto:lf@ele.puc-rio.br> H=x.xx.xxx ([127.0.0.1]) [My.ip.addr]
P=esmtpsa X=TLS1.3:TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256:128 CV=no
A=dovecot_plain:lf S=978
id=dcf6f987-3539-4e7d-9e3b-74a53d8e26fd@ele.puc-rio.br T="#TESTE#"
from <lf@ele.puc-rio.br> fot the_list@ele.puc-rio.br *lf@ele.puc-rio.br

*And received the message (once):

2023-11-06 16:30:38 1r05Is-003wbk-2b => lf <the_list@ele.puc-rio.br>
F=<lf@ele.puc-rio.br> R=localuser T=local_delivery S=1117 QT=0s DT=0s

After, I sent a second test message without Bcc

    2023-11-06 16:36:15 *1r05OJ-003wv4-1V* <= lf@ele.puc-rio.br
H=x.xx.xxxr ([127.0.0.1]) [My.ip.address] P=esmtpsa
X=TLS1.3:TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256:128 CV=no A=dovecot_plain:lf S=3738
id=855a0d8e-b64b-4f94-8215-9874b36633ba@ele.puc-rio.br T="Fwd:
#TESTE 2#" from <lf@ele.puc-rio.br> for the_list@ele.puc-rio.br

And received the message (once) as well:

2023-11-06 16:36:15 *1r05OJ-003wv4-1V* => lf
<the_list@ele.puc-rio.br> F=<lf@ele.puc-rio.br> R=localuser
T=local_delivery S=3857 QT=0s DT=0s

Then  indeed exim seems to be sending the message to me as a member of
the list. On the other hand, it seems that exim is ignoring my email
being in the Bcc field, otherwise I would have received 2 copies of the
message: one for being on the list, and a second copy as being on the
Bcc field. I checked in my /var/spool/mail/lf/Maildir/cur and there is
only one copy of the message.

And the exim.conf part that handles /etc/aliases is

system_aliases:
  driver = redirect
  allow_fail
  allow_defer
  data = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/aliases}}
# user = exim
  file_transport = address_file
  pipe_transport = address_pipe

What's going on? Can you help?

Thank you.

--
Atenciosamente,

Luís Fernando V. Gomes
Gerente de TI

Re: Receive message sent to list where sender is on [ In reply to ]
On 06/11/2023 20:53, Luis F. V. Gomes via Exim-users wrote:
> I sent 2 messages to the list I'm on.
> On the first message I put myself in the Bcc field (that's what I usually do)

A Bcc: header really is not a thing, as far as an MTA is concerned.
You have to go out of your way to make Exim do anything with a Bcc: header.

Putting "Bcc" on a message you are sending (using an MUA, which is something
external to Exim) *should* add the addresses you say there to the set of
addresses passed to Exim in the SMTP "RCPT" commands, but not include them
in the "To:" header list of addreses. It should *not* add a "Bcc:" header -
the whole point of Bcc is to not leak those extra destinations of the message
to every recipient.

Now: will Exim de-duplicate message destinations? Yes, as far as it can.
It's not perfect; there are situations it cannot. But it's quite likely
for simple configurations.
Jeremy