--
Jasen.
???????? ????? ???????

Re: RFC822 Date format. [ In reply to ]
On 2023-09-25, Jasen Betts via Exim-users <exim-users@lists.exim.org> wrote:
> I want to add a Resent-Date: header. Is there any way to access this
> RFC822 timestamp using simple string expansion?

so far this is my best candidate:

${run {/usr/bin/date --rfc-email}}

--
Jasen.
???????? ????? ???????

Re: RFC822 Date format. [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 03:21:20AM -0000, Jasen Betts via Exim-users wrote:

> On 2023-09-25, Jasen Betts via Exim-users <exim-users@lists.exim.org> wrote:
> > I want to add a Resent-Date: header. Is there any way to access this
> > RFC822 timestamp using simple string expansion?
>
> so far this is my best candidate:
>
> ${run {/usr/bin/date --rfc-email}}

Does Exim add any of:

* Resent-From
* Resent-Date
* Resent-Message-Id

automatically[1], when a message has other Resent- headers (Resent-To, ...).
If not, would that be a reasonable future feature?

--
Viktor.

[1] FWIW, Postfix does that for locally-originated mail:

https://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#always_add_missing_headers

possibly obviating the OP's apparent need to take explicit action to
do that.

Re: RFC822 Date format. [ In reply to ]
Jasen Betts via Exim-users wrote on 25.09.2023 3:25:
> Exim generates correctly formatted Date headers
> when using control=submission *,
> and uses the same format in received headers.
>
> I want to add a Resent-Date: header. Is there any way to access this
> RFC822 timestamp using simple string expansion?

# exim -be '$tod_full'
Mon, 25 Sep 2023 13:05:14 +0300

--
Best wishes Victor Ustugov
mailto:victor@corvax.kiev.ua

Re: RFC822 Date format. [ In reply to ]
On 25/09/2023 05:11, Viktor Dukhovni via Exim-users wrote:
> Does Exim add any of:
>
> * Resent-From
> * Resent-Date
> * Resent-Message-Id
>
> automatically[1], when a message has other Resent- headers (Resent-To, ...).
> If not, would that be a reasonable future feature?

Not Exim's job. RFC 5322 3.6.6 says:

Note: Reintroducing a message into the transport system and using
resent fields is a different operation from "forwarding".

Exim can do forwarding, sure. Reintroduction would be some other actor
passing a message to Exim; it'd be that other actor's responsibility to
do all the Resent- stuff. If it can do any of them there's no good
reason it can't do all.

You *could* make Exim do it with sufficient ACL programming in your config,
though I suspect you'd be at risk of an inconsistent set of resulting
headers.
Jeremy