Mailing List Archive

OpenSSL 3 under FreeBSD
FreeBSD port of openssl 1.1.1 had an update yesterday, it says:

Final version of OpenSSL 1.1.1, this port will upgrade to
3.0 (LTS) with a next commit.

Does somebody use Exim with openssl 3 under FreeBSD already?

Perhaps Exim will need to be recompiled?

Re: OpenSSL 3 under FreeBSD [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Sep 12, 2023 at 08:16:12AM +0300, Lena--- via Exim-users wrote:

> FreeBSD port of openssl 1.1.1 had an update yesterday, it says:
>
> Final version of OpenSSL 1.1.1, this port will upgrade to
> 3.0 (LTS) with a next commit.
>
> Does somebody use Exim with openssl 3 under FreeBSD already?

No, but FWIW, I run my own build of Postfix compiled and linked against
OpenSSL 3.2-dev, with no issues. What is your concern?

> Perhaps Exim will need to be recompiled?

All ports using OpenSSL will need to be recompiled (or re-installed from
binary distributions) when the OpenSSL port updates to OpenSSL 3.0.

There is no ABI compability between OpenSSL 1.1.1 and OpenSSL 3.0.

When a dependency changes and you upgrade, you typically end up also
upgrading dependent packages, if they're all built from ports.

While it is possible to have both shared libraries installed, and
they can even typically coexist in the same process, I doublt that
FreeBSD ports will support leaving an EOL 1.1.1 runtime in place.

--
Viktor.