issue a tempfail and then disconnect.

rgds

Matt

Re: Is there a way to forcably disconnect remote session using tempfail 4xx code [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 01:14:55PM +1000, Matt Bryant via Exim-users wrote:

> Is there anyway in exim to force a disconnect but with a temporary 4xx
> failure rather than a hard deny and 5xx error ???. I can see 'drop' does
> the latter case but there seem no equivalent action/verb or command to
> issue a tempfail and then disconnect.

Have you tried configuring the reject code to "421". The Exim SMTP
server should ideally take note of that and also disconnect.

--
Viktor.

Re: Is there a way to forcably disconnect remote session using tempfail 4xx code [ In reply to ]
No I havent .. didnt think of that will give it a go .. thx

Re: Is there a way to forcably disconnect remote session using tempfail 4xx code [ In reply to ]
Shame although the 421 code sent the connection is not dropped which is
a shame .. would have been a nice solution ..

Re: Is there a way to forcably disconnect remote session using tempfail 4xx code [ In reply to ]
On 21/02/2023 03:14, Matt Bryant via Exim-users wrote:
> Is there anyway in exim to force a disconnect but with a temporary 4xx failure rather than a hard deny and 5xx error ???. I can see 'drop' does the latter case but there seem no equivalent action/verb or command to issue a tempfail and then disconnect.

No; that's a further departure from standards than Exim is coded to do.
You could raise an RFE if you have a convincing case for it.
Jeremy

Re: Is there a way to forcably disconnect remote session using tempfail 4xx code [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 09:30:41AM +0000, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users wrote:

> On 21/02/2023 03:14, Matt Bryant via Exim-users wrote:
> > Is there anyway in exim to force a disconnect but with a temporary
> > 4xx failure rather than a hard deny and 5xx error ???. I can see
> > 'drop' does the latter case but there seem no equivalent action/verb
> > or command to issue a tempfail and then disconnect.
>
> No; that's a further departure from standards than Exim is coded to
> do. You could raise an RFE if you have a convincing case for it.

FWIW, Postfix does drop connectiosn when the user-specified reject code
is 421 or 521. Yes, server-initiated connection termination was not
part of the original design of SMTP ~50 years back when the Internet
was a kinder/gentler place.

--
Viktor.