[. The reason I'm not using exiscan is I want to add warning headers rather
than reject the mail. ]

Because it's a Friday afternoon it took me a little while to spot that the
mail was being delivered with local-esmtp seemingly ignoring my -oMr.

I'm not asking for a change to the Exim code; however, I'd request a note
put in the spec in the relevant place. (5.3?)

Cheers,

Matt
Re: exim -d -oMr my_coined_protocol -bs [ In reply to ]
--
On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 03:43:29PM +0100, Matt Bernstein wrote:
| I used the above with my invented protocol "lsmtp" to test a local_scan
| function I've written for uvscan (I'll announce it when I've a had a day
| or so for a few more pairs of eyes to find my bugs first ;) on messages
| which go through our mlm (the idea being that it resends using -oMr lsmtp
| which my function detects to avoid scanning the same message twice).
|
| [. The reason I'm not using exiscan is I want to add warning headers rather
| than reject the mail. ]
|
| Because it's a Friday afternoon it took me a little while to spot that the
| mail was being delivered with local-esmtp seemingly ignoring my -oMr.
|
| I'm not asking for a change to the Exim code; however, I'd request a note
| put in the spec in the relevant place. (5.3?)

In the spec the -oMr option is discussed. It says to see the
discussion of -oMa. The discussion of -oMa has this :

In other circumstances, [-oM options] are ignored unless the
caller is trusted.

Is the user invoking exim with -oMr "trusted"?

-D

--

Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge,
but he who hates correction is stupid.

Re: exim -d -oMr my_coined_protocol -bs [ In reply to ]
On May 26 dman wrote:

>On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 03:43:29PM +0100, Matt Bernstein wrote:
>| Because it's a Friday afternoon it took me a little while to spot that the
>| mail was being delivered with local-esmtp seemingly ignoring my -oMr.
>|
>| I'm not asking for a change to the Exim code; however, I'd request a note
>| put in the spec in the relevant place. (5.3?)
>
>In the spec the -oMr option is discussed. It says to see the
>discussion of -oMa. The discussion of -oMa has this :
>
> In other circumstances, [-oM options] are ignored unless the
> caller is trusted.
>
>Is the user invoking exim with -oMr "trusted"?

Yes. But I think something different is happening because of the "-bs".

Matt
Re: exim -d -oMr my_coined_protocol -bs [ In reply to ]
--
On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 09:02:31AM +0100, Matt Bernstein wrote:
| On May 26 dman wrote:
|
| >On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 03:43:29PM +0100, Matt Bernstein wrote:
| >| Because it's a Friday afternoon it took me a little while to spot that the
| >| mail was being delivered with local-esmtp seemingly ignoring my -oMr.
| >|
| >| I'm not asking for a change to the Exim code; however, I'd request a note
| >| put in the spec in the relevant place. (5.3?)
| >
| >In the spec the -oMr option is discussed. It says to see the
| >discussion of -oMa. The discussion of -oMa has this :
| >
| > In other circumstances, [-oM options] are ignored unless the
| > caller is trusted.
| >
| >Is the user invoking exim with -oMr "trusted"?
|
| Yes. But I think something different is happening because of the "-bs".

That shouldn't matter. I've used -bS and -oMr at the same time and
didn't have any trouble.

-D

--

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not
in us.

Re: exim -d -oMr my_coined_protocol -bs [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 24 May 2002, Matt Bernstein wrote:

> I'm not asking for a change to the Exim code; however, I'd request a note
> put in the spec in the relevant place. (5.3?)

Will do. The situation is that -oMr works only for non-SMTP submissions.
Just to be confusing, -bS (batch SMTP) counts as a non-SMTP submission.
It's just another non-interactive submission, where the envelope happens
to be encoded using SMTP commands.

--
Philip Hazel University of Cambridge Computing Service,
ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.