<fanf@exim.org> <dot@dotat.at> http://dotat.at/ ${sg{\N${sg{\
N\}{([^N]*)(.)(.)(.*)}{\$1\$3\$2\$1\$3\n\$2\$3\$4\$3\n\$3\$2\$4}}\
\N}{([^N]*)(.)(.)(.*)}{\$1\$3\$2\$1\$3\n\$2\$3\$4\$3\n\$3\$2\$4}}

Re: NewStuff [ In reply to ]
Tony Finch wrote:
> I propose that we should empty the NewStuff file at the start of each
> development cycle (after a release) and add brief documentation of new
> features to it, so that when we do a release it can act as an appendix to
> the previous release's spec.

How about renaming NewStuff to NewStuff-x.yz when version x.yz is
released, and leaving it in the distribution (at least until the end of
the x branch?

Bob (not an Exim developer, but a hardcore Exim documentation user)

Re: NewStuff [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 08:57:11PM +0100, B. Johannessen wrote:
> Tony Finch wrote:
> > I propose that we should empty the NewStuff file at the start of each
> > development cycle (after a release) and add brief documentation of new
> > features to it, so that when we do a release it can act as an appendix to
> > the previous release's spec.
>
> How about renaming NewStuff to NewStuff-x.yz when version x.yz is
> released, and leaving it in the distribution (at least until the end of
> the x branch?

I would second that. If the file is wiped after each release, it
would require download each previous distribution if you are jumping
forward multiple revisions.

--
Dean Brooks
dean@iglou.com

Re: NewStuff [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Dean Brooks wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 08:57:11PM +0100, B. Johannessen wrote:
> >
> > How about renaming NewStuff to NewStuff-x.yz when version x.yz is
> > released, and leaving it in the distribution (at least until the end of
> > the x branch?

I'd prefer to just let the file grow, and not create clutter.

> I would second that. If the file is wiped after each release, it
> would require download each previous distribution if you are jumping
> forward multiple revisions.

I tend to think that that is what the ChangeLog is for, though I can see
the value of leaving 5 or 10 revisions worth of documentation in the
NewStuff file.

Tony.

Re: NewStuff [ In reply to ]
Tony Finch wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Dean Brooks wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 08:57:11PM +0100, B. Johannessen wrote:
>>
>>> How about renaming NewStuff to NewStuff-x.yz when version x.yz is
>>> released, and leaving it in the distribution (at least until the end of
>>> the x branch?
>>>
> I'd prefer to just let the file grow, and not create clutter.
>

>> I would second that. If the file is wiped after each release, it
>> would require download each previous distribution if you are jumping
>> forward multiple revisions.

You can get the single NewStuff and ChangeLog files from the exim ftp
server under /pub/exim/ChangeLogs. There you have the naming convention
suggested above for those two files.
BTW: The NewStuff for 4.69 is missing there.

I like the NewStuff file as well, it enables me as a user of exim to
quickly get all the information required to update the software and use
the added features without going through the detailed ChangeLog.

Oliver