Btw. Great work. Thank You.

Please don't use autoconf in future.
Rafa³

Re: Autoconf - Please don't [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, Rafa? Bilski wrote:

> Sorry to bother You. I have just read that You possibly plan to use
> autoconf.

Where did you read this? *I* have no plans to use autoconf for Exim (but
I'm retiring soon). Perhaps you are being misled by the recent change to
PCRE, which now uses autoconf.

--
Philip Hazel University of Cambridge Computing Service
Get the Exim 4 book: http://www.uit.co.uk/exim-book

Re: Autoconf - Please don't [ In reply to ]
>> Sorry to bother You. I have just read that You possibly plan to use
>> autoconf.
>
> Where did you read this? *I* have no plans to use autoconf for Exim (but
> I'm retiring soon). Perhaps you are being misled by the recent change to
> PCRE, which now uses autoconf.

EximWiki * Exim5
Exim 5 Discussion
[...]
Possible use of "autoconf"
"However, it might be helpful to use autoconf to dig out various bits of
information about the operating system."

I know that it is a bit early. But I'm planing to use Exim in future too.
You have very good documentation, very good configuration and Exim is
still small and fast.
In my case autoconf is a pain in the ass. Why do they need to run
int main() { return 0; } if compile is successful? Autoconf works as long
as everything is usuall. Your makefile system is easy to change and easy
to understand. And simple change doesn't require to build 10MB of stupid
tools which don't cross compile. I'm not so good to do required change
manually in most cases.

Best regards
Rafa³

Re: Autoconf - Please don't [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, Rafa? Bilski wrote:
>
> > Sorry to bother You. I have just read that You possibly plan to use
> > autoconf.
>
> Where did you read this?

Probably http://wiki.exim.org/Exim5

I also dislike autoconf for the same kind of reasons as Rafal - it usually
makes non-vanilla builds unreasonably difficult.

Tony.
--
<fanf@exim.org> <dot@dotat.at> http://dotat.at/ ${sg{\N${sg{\
N\}{([^N]*)(.)(.)(.*)}{\$1\$3\$2\$1\$3\n\$2\$3\$4\$3\n\$3\$2\$4}}\

Re: Autoconf - Please don't [ In reply to ]
Tony Finch wrote:
> I also dislike autoconf for the same kind of reasons as Rafal - it usually
> makes non-vanilla builds unreasonably difficult.

For what every it's worth, I'd also like to be counted along with those
objecting to autoconf. The current build system is a pleasure to work
with, especially in non-standard environments.

Bob

Re: Autoconf - Please don't [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Tony Finch wrote:

> I also dislike autoconf for the same kind of reasons as Rafal - it usually
> makes non-vanilla builds unreasonably difficult.

I am not in favour of autoconf for Exim - I suspect it is probably
impossible anyway. However, I have to say that using autoconf for PCRE
has probably been a good change. I had to be persuaded into this, but
the clinching factor was that PCRE is a library that needs to be
compiled in shared and static formats on both Unix-like and Windows
systems. The black magic incantations that are needed for shared
libraries are weird and wonderful and not something I know about. All
this stuff is now automatically handled by autoconf, and it does seem to
work for most builds that people actually want. (Previously, I used to
get a steady stream of error reports for the hand-maintained makefile
and it just got more and more hacked.)