Mailing List Archive

Dissecting a specific layer (the application layer)

For a project, I need to be able to dissect an application stream, of
say, http. So I have e.g. the http-request (*not* the headers of the
underlying protocols), and I would like to be able to dissect this
request into a tree (which I imagine the dissect_http function would
create). This requires a different entry in the dissection mechanism
(different than providing a fully headered packet using a capture file
as is normally done).

I can imagine this is done before, but I can't find it. If not, would
this be possible in your opinion? Or can someone give me a hint how to
start. The problem is that the complexity of (t)ethereal makes it
difficult to now where to start. Maybe a very simple example of a
program which dissects a packet (then i could be able to find out how to
hack it into my preference). Tethereal is already quite complex for me...

Mike