video.
Every stream has it jitter and delay, isn't it?.

Thanks.
Re: Jitter and delay [ In reply to ]
Luis,
Intuitively, yes it is so. An RTP packet has data only for one one SSRC.
And an RTCP packet has a different block of metrics for each SSRC. Please
have a look at RFC 3550. Although I could be wrong, in which case I would
like to be corrected.

Regards
Adil Raja

Re: Jitter and Delay [ In reply to ]

I dont really understand your situation and input and output, however,
I dont think you can get the delay from Ethereal or any one-side
monitoring tool.
You can ping the remote host and get the RTT.
Divide it by two and thats your delay.
(If you know a better way to measure it, please please tell me.)

You can, however, measure the jitter by comparing the inter-arrival
time of each packet.
Comparing the arrival time is not real delay variation (because it is
not delay that you are comparing) but it can give you the picture of
jitter.
There is a paper discussing this. Check out:
http://carmen.cselt.it/papers/iss2000-ipdv/paper/ipdv.html

Cheers,
Isara Anantavrasilp

Re: Jitter and Delay [ In reply to ]