Mailing List Archive

versions 0.9.8 and 0.10.14

With version 0.9.8 ethereal for RTP packets i obersved the
payloadtype72 .But in the latest version 0.10.14 these packets are not
shown.Please clarify.

Regards,
Jayasree.

Re: versions 0.9.8 and 0.10.14 [ In reply to ]

> Hi,
>
> With version 0.9.8 ethereal for RTP packets i obersved the
> payloadtype 72 .But in the latest version 0.10.14 these packets are not
> shown.Please clarify.

Because Ethereal became RFC3550 compliant:

-----------8<------------
The RTP payload type (PT) constants are defined in profiles rather
than this document. However, the octet of the RTP header which
contains the marker bit(s) and payload type MUST avoid the reserved
values 200 and 201 (decimal) to distinguish RTP packets from the RTCP
SR and RR packet types for the header validation procedure described

Schulzrinne, et al. Standards Track [Page 69]

RFC 3550 RTP July 2003

in Appendix A.1. For the standard definition of one marker bit and a
7-bit payload type field as shown in this specification, this
restriction means that payload types 72 and 73 are reserved.
Re: versions 0.9.8 and 0.10.14 [ In reply to ]

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 11:28:03AM +0200, Jaap Keuter wrote:
> > With version 0.9.8 ethereal for RTP packets i obersved the
> > payloadtype 72 .But in the latest version 0.10.14 these packets are not
> > shown.Please clarify.
> >

> Because Ethereal became RFC3550 compliant:
i...
> in Appendix A.1. For the standard definition of one marker bit and a
> 7-bit payload type field as shown in this specification, this
> restriction means that payload types 72 and 73 are reserved.

@Jaap:
Well, if there is equipment that still uses 72 and 73, then there should
be a configuration option to allow the old behaviour back. We just had
that discussion a few days ago on the wireshark list. I consider just
changing a working feature so that it doesn't work after that any more
without providing a way back to the old behaviour a bug.

@jayasree:
Ethereal has become Wireshark (www.wireshark.org). Newer software
versions (like 0.99.2) are available over there. Support has moved to
the wireshark-users@wireshark.org list.

Ciao
Joerg
--