Mailing List Archive

Packet Classifying Code
hi, any one who can help me to figure out which
function is responsible to do the packet
classification.

thank you.

Re: Packet Classifying Code [ In reply to ]
norayu abd ghani wrote:
> hi, any one who can help me to figure out which
> function is responsible to do the packet
> classification.

What do you mean by "packet classification"? If you mean "what function
determines whether a packet is an IPv4 packet or an IPv6 packet or an
IPX packet or...", there is no single function that does that.

At the bottommost layer, a packet has a link-layer packet type that
comes from metadata in the capture file (either a per-file or per-packet
packet type) or, in some cases, from looking at the packet and trying to
guess the packet type; that code is in the "wiretap" subdirectory.

Above that, individual dissectors might look at a type field, or a port
number field, or might run a number of "heuristic" dissectors that look
at the packet data and try to guess the packet type.