Mailing List Archive

Want to capture WLAN packets
Hi All,

I want to capture 802.11 WLAN packets from Ethereal. But when I tried with
NetGear wireless card, I was able to capture Ping packets

But It was not showing any WLAN packets like

1) Beacon frames

2) Authentication request/response

3) Association request/response

So please any buddy can tell me how to capture these packets.

Madhur

but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or
dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient's) is
Re: Want to capture WLAN packets [ In reply to ]
Hi Madhur,

have a look at http://wiki.ethereal.com/CaptureSetup/WLAN for
information on how to set your card to monitor mode. To get correct
Assoctiation IDs, you could apply this patch: http://www.ethereal.com/
lists/ethereal-dev/200605/msg00225.html

Regards

Christoph

Re: Want to capture WLAN packets [ In reply to ]
There is a replaceable tool,Kismet.

http://www.kismetwireless.net/

Regards.

Re: Want to capture WLAN packets [ In reply to ]
On Jun 15, 2006, at 7:30 AM, du bingyao wrote:

> There is a replaceable tool,Kismet.
>
> http://www.kismetwireless.net/

If Wireshark won't work, Kismet probably won't work, either.

If Kismet works and Wireshark doesn't, this is arguably a deficiency
in libpcap/WinPcap. Send me what OS and version of libpcap/WinPcap
and Kismet you're using so I can see if that deficiency can be
remedied.
Re: Want to capture WLAN packets [ In reply to ]
madhur wrote:

> I want to capture 802.11 WLAN packets from Ethereal. But when I tried
> with NetGear wireless card, I was able to capture Ping packets
>
> But It was not showing any WLAN packets like
>
> 1) Beacon frames
>
> 2) Authentication request/response
>
> 3) Association request/response
>

> So please any buddy can tell me how to capture these packets.

Step 1: do *NOT* run Windows on your machine. NDIS (which is what the
WinPcap driver uses), and the standard 802.11 drivers on Windows, have
no mechanism to allow a driver or application to request that it see
802.11 management frames.

Which NetGear card do you have? Linux and/or one or more of the
free-software BSDs might support the card and support putting it into
monitor mode. (Note that, in monitor mode, most if not all network
adapters do *not* support being associated with a network, so you can
only do passive traffic capture.)