would be appreciated. Many thanks!

Br,
Kai
Re: Packet comparison [ In reply to ]
On Jun 7, 2006, at 5:33 AM, Kai.Kang@nokia.com wrote:

> I would like to be able to compare captured packets on Ethereal. For
> example, by right clicking the selected packet, the function to make
> comparison with some other packet will be supplied. Comparison might
> base on text checking inside different message fields.

Not all fields are text.

What would the result of the comparison be? "Packets are identical"
vs. "packets differ in field X" vs. "packets differ in fields X, and Z"?

How would you specify the two packets to compare?
RE: Re: Packet comparison [ In reply to ]
> > I would like to be able to compare captured packets on Ethereal. For

> > example, by right clicking the selected packet, the function to make

> > comparison with some other packet will be supplied. Comparison might

> > base on text checking inside different message fields.

> Not all fields are text.

> What would the result of the comparison be? "Packets are identical"
> vs. "packets differ in field X" vs. "packets differ in fields X, and
Z"?

> How would you specify the two packets to compare?

Sorry for my ambiguity within my question! More concisely my target
material are captured SIP packets, comparison should be carried within
some text fields of them. Like Cseq, Call-ID etc.

The feature I would like to implement can be described as: to choose one
SIP packet from ethereal, right click, the option "Compare in
transaction/dialog manner with" is added, after choose one, then click
into another comparable SIP packet, then a window pop out showing result
something like "They are in the same transaction/dialog" or "They are
NOT in the same ...." And this result is coming from corresponding text
fields' comparison.

Looking forward to hints and help, many thanks!

Br,
Kai Kang