Mailing List Archive

help needed with drbd and insmod
hi all!

i'm currently working on a ha environment on linux for
web and mail servers. i'd like to use your drbd
together with heartbeat.
i tried to compile 0.5.7 version on an redhat 6.2 and
7.1 with kernel 2.2.14, 2.2.16 and 2.2.19 (you see, i
really tried a lot ...) but i got a lot of warnings
and errors (redefinition of variables, missing header
files ...). so i downloaded the most current version
>from cvs (0.5.8) and compiled it. following warnings
occured:

#drbd.c: 1537:36 pasting would not give a valid
preprocessing token
#drbd.c: 1537:65 pasting would not give a valid
preprocessing token
#drbd.c: 1538:36 pasting would not give a valid
preprocessing token
#drbd.c: 1538:65 pasting would not give a valid
preprocessing token
#drbd.c: 1543:36 pasting would not give a valid
preprocessing token
#drbd.c: 1543:65 pasting would not give a valid
preprocessing token
#drbd.c: 1544:36 pasting would not give a valid
preprocessing token
#drbd.c: 1544:65 pasting would not give a valid
preprocessing token

#db_snyc_all_get_blk: unused variable 'old_sync_to'
#/usr/src/linux/include/linux/blk.h:401:
do_nbd_request declared static, but never defined

#/tmp/cctEEbtt.s: Assembler message: Ignoring changed
section attributes for .modinfo

nevertheless, i installed drbd and tried to insert the
kernel module:

#insmod drbd.o

following error occured:

#unable to get major 43

do you have any idea why this happens?

which kernel version to you prefer using with drbd? is
2.2.19 ok?

some infos about my server: old pentium 133 mhz / 32
mb ram / ide / redhat 7.1 / kernel 2.2.19

thanks a lot for your help!!!!

greez
-gulu

http://auctions.yahoo.com/
Re: help needed with drbd and insmod [ In reply to ]
CVS Version is fine for trying it. -- Not for using it.

*) Make sure that your kernel source is configured.
*) Make sure that you do _not_ compile nbd into your Kernel or as
module.

-Philipp

* gulu <gulu69@example.com> [010516 22:14]:

Re: help needed with drbd and insmod [ In reply to ]
Philipp Reisner wrote:

> CVS Version is fine for trying it. -- Not for using it.

On that note, when will 0.5.8 be ready for production use? For that
matter, is 0.5.7 production ready? This may change my whole development
stategy...

Chris.
Disclaimer:

This e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the named recipient.
Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual sender,
and not of dotWAP.com Pty Ltd. Any unauthorised use, dissemination,
forwarding or reproduction of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

dotWAP.com Pty Ltd does not warrant that this e-mail is free from viruses
or other corruptions and is not liable to the recipient or any other
party should any virus or other corruption be present in this e-mail.
Re: help needed with drbd and insmod [ In reply to ]
Basically 0.5.8. has some new features (meta-data), a new
syncer and a bit of code cleanups.
The changes to the core are rather small. Therefore I want to
release it quite soon, since 0.5.7 does not compile out
of the box with more recent kernels.

I am working with on it as fast as I can, since we (CUBiT) will
need the 0.5.8 Release before the end of May in a new project.

What I wanted to say: Do not use today's CVS checkout to run
you mission critical database on. :)

-Philipp

* Chris Anderson <chris.anderson@example.com> [010517 10:26]:

Re: help needed with drbd and insmod [ In reply to ]
hi all,

concerning my first mail on this topic: I compiled and
installed the cvs 0.5.8 for testing reasons. I got the
same compiler warnings, but the module works.

Now my questions: Why can't I compile the 0.5.7 on the
same machine (redhat 7.1 on 2.2.19)? which kernel
works properly with 0.5.7

Thanks a lot!

-gulu

http://auctions.yahoo.com/
Re: Re: help needed with drbd and insmod [ In reply to ]
gulu <gulu69@example.com> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> concerning my first mail on this topic: I compiled and
> installed the cvs 0.5.8 for testing reasons. I got the
> same compiler warnings, but the module works.
>
> Now my questions: Why can't I compile the 0.5.7 on the
> same machine (redhat 7.1 on 2.2.19)? which kernel
> works properly with 0.5.7

Maybe this is because RedHat 7.1 ships with Kernel-Headers for 2.4.
On RedHat /usr/include/linux and asm are not linked to
/usr/src/linux/include/linux and asm-i386.

Juri

--
Juri Haberland <juri@example.com>
Re: Re: help needed with drbd and insmod [ In reply to ]
"gulu" <gulu69@example.com> wrote:
> This message was sent from Geocrawler.com by "gulu" <gulu69@example.com>
>
> hi juri,
>
> I'm not using the 2.4.x kernel, but the 2.2.19.
> do you prefer any kernel version with drbd? how

It's ok as long as you use a 2.2ish kernel. The problem might be the headers
>from 2.4 included in RH7.1.

> can I make this links mentioned in your answer.
> I0d like to use the 0.5.7 with the 2.2.19 kernel.

cd /usr/include
mv linux linux.org
ln -s ../src/linux/include/linux linux
mv asm asm.org
ln -s ../src/linux/include/asm-i386

This way you always use the headers of the kernel installed under
/usr/src/linux

Juri

--
Juri Haberland <juri@example.com>
Re: Re: help needed with drbd and insmod [ In reply to ]
Just out of curiosity, why would you *want* to use the 0.5.7 version of DRBD?
CVS is *much more stable* and has faster syncer, threading, etc.

Best Regards,
Omar Kilani
MailCall Couriers