Mailing List Archive

DRDB volume with multiple source disks
Hi all,

What’s the best way to expand a DRBD volume by adding disks to the nodes? I know a second volume can be created, but this is inefficient and I’ll need a volume larger than the disks and would like to use multiple disks for better throughput and IOPS.

Can one add extra disks directly to a volume or should one use LVM to add a new PV to a VG, to resize the LV resource of a DRBD volume? What would the process be, if at all possible, to do so live without risking the data?

I’m familiar with the LVM process of resizing disks, but how would DRBD be informed of the resized volume?

Thanks,
Re: DRDB volume with multiple source disks [ In reply to ]
I believe that there two different things that need to be done. First is to
expand DRBD backing device and then after resize the volume at DRBD level.
If the backing device is LVM, then use the steps required by that to expand
the LV. Once the LVs have been expand on all nodes, then you can use
"drbdadm resize" command to resize the DRBD volume. Consult drbdadm
manpage and the DRBD user guide for further details.