Mailing List Archive

primary drops back to secondary when secondary restarted
I'm testing the latest cvs code with kernel 2.2.19 and ext3 0.0.7a, and
I've noticed some odd behaviour.

If I restart on the secondary while it is in a SyncingAll state, the
secondary begins the sync again and the primary keeps going.

If I restart on the secondary while it is in a Connected state, it starts
up, does a quick sync, and then both nodes become secondary.

This is while the underlying filesystem is mounted and being written to;
no panics or other nastiness, but until I manually set the primary node
back to being a primary, nothing that is written to the mounted
filesystem gets mirrored over.

This has be a little bit concerned. Any ideas as to why I'm seeing the
above behaviour?

Cheers,
Chris.
Disclaimer:

This e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the named recipient.
Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual sender,
and not of dotWAP.com Pty Ltd. Any unauthorised use, dissemination,
forwarding or reproduction of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

dotWAP.com Pty Ltd does not warrant that this e-mail is free from viruses
or other corruptions and is not liable to the recipient or any other
party should any virus or other corruption be present in this e-mail.
Re: primary drops back to secondary when secondary restarted [ In reply to ]
Chris Anderson wrote:

> I'm testing the latest cvs code with kernel 2.2.19 and ext3 0.0.7a, and
> I've noticed some odd behaviour.
>
> If I restart on the secondary while it is in a SyncingAll state, the
> secondary begins the sync again and the primary keeps going.
>
> If I restart on the secondary while it is in a Connected state, it starts
> up, does a quick sync, and then both nodes become secondary.

This happens with the latest CVS code (as at Dec 12).

> This is while the underlying filesystem is mounted and being written to;
> no panics or other nastiness, but until I manually set the primary node
> back to being a primary, nothing that is written to the mounted
> filesystem gets mirrored over.

If nothing is writing to the filesystem, both go back to secondary. If
there is something writing, it oopses. (see attached)

drbd reconnect does not work; it puts the (real) secondary into
WFConnection, hangs on the primary (which is in WFReportParams state).

In any case, only a complete restart is able to recover from this point.