Mailing List Archive

Sync-rate
Hi

I finally got the cluster working in a more stable condition with kernel
2.4.9 and drbd-0.6.1-pre2. With the kernel 2.2.18 and 0.5.8.1 I used to
have one machine blocking completly, not completly because I could ping it!

Anyway now it seems much better.
My problem is that I have 3 disks of 37GB in each machine, and when there
is full-sync it takes lots of time. So I need to use the sync-rate as fast
as I can.
Each server has 2 network cards, and I'm using the one of this cards (eth1)
with a crossover cable, to pass hearbeat "pings" and drbd disk
syncronization. Is there any problem if I use as sync-rate for both of my
two resources (drbd0 and drbd1) 5000KB. This means that I will be nearly
over the network capacity (100Mbps) if both resources need syncronisation.
Shall I use for example 4000KB.
In order to introduce some flexibility between my two resources, I'm trying
to configure LVM to define the filesystems associated with drbd resources.
Is there any problem?

Best regards
Raul

Raul Filipe Oliveira Tel at office: 351 22 5081602/1502
FEUP/DEEC Fax at office: 351 22 5081443
Rua de Roberto Frias Email:rto@example.com
4200 465 Porto
Portugal
Why I love LINUX? Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste
Re: Sync-rate [ In reply to ]
* Raul Oliveira <rto@example.com> [010926 11:02]:
> Hi
>
> I finally got the cluster working in a more stable condition with kernel
> 2.4.9 and drbd-0.6.1-pre2. With the kernel 2.2.18 and 0.5.8.1 I used to
> have one machine blocking completly, not completly because I could ping it!
>
> Anyway now it seems much better.
> My problem is that I have 3 disks of 37GB in each machine, and when there
> is full-sync it takes lots of time. So I need to use the sync-rate as fast
> as I can.
> Each server has 2 network cards, and I'm using the one of this cards (eth1)
> with a crossover cable, to pass hearbeat "pings" and drbd disk
> syncronization. Is there any problem if I use as sync-rate for both of my
> two resources (drbd0 and drbd1) 5000KB. This means that I will be nearly
> over the network capacity (100Mbps) if both resources need syncronisation.
> Shall I use for example 4000KB.
> In order to introduce some flexibility between my two resources, I'm trying
> to configure LVM to define the filesystems associated with drbd resources.
> Is there any problem?
>
> Best regards
> Raul

I can not recomend you to allocate more that the available bandwith
for synchronisation.

What about a second pair of NICs ?

LVM should work, never tested. (Maybe we will need entries in
/proc/partitions), please share your experiences with us.

PS: You can try a sync rate up to 6MB/s. (I have never tested if it really
reaches that speed, it could work in theroy)

-Philipp
Re: Sync-rate [ In reply to ]
Hi Philipp

> I can not recomend you to allocate more that the available bandwith
> for synchronisation.

Ok, I asked because I didn't know how you use this sync-rate.

> What about a second pair of NICs ?

I'm already using a second pair of NICs for heartbeat and drbd
synchronization. In each system I have eth0 for servers address and cluster
address, eth1 connecting both servers with a crossover cable.

> LVM should work, never tested. (Maybe we will need entries in
> /proc/partitions), please share your experiences with us.

It works, but i have the following result for drbesetup:

ServerL211:/home/operador# drbdsetup /dev/nb0 show
Lower device: 58:00 ((null))
Disk options:
Local address: 10.0.0.2:7788
Remote address: 10.0.0.1:7788
Wire protocol: C
Net options:
timeout = 6.0 sec
sync-rate = 5000 KB/sec
tl-size = 256
connect-int = 10 sec
ping-int = 10 sec

ServerL211:/home/operador# drbdsetup /dev/nb1 show
Lower device: 58:01 ((null))
Disk options:
Local address: 10.0.0.2:7789
Remote address: 10.0.0.1:7789
Wire protocol: C
Net options:
timeout = 6.0 sec
sync-rate = 5000 KB/sec
tl-size = 256
connect-int = 10 sec
ping-int = 10 sec

resource drbd0 {

protocol=C
fsckcmd=fsck -p -y

net {
sync-rate=5000
tl-size=256
timeout=60
connect-int=10
ping-int=10
}

on ServerL210 {
device=/dev/nb0
disk=/dev/dados/contas
address=10.0.0.1
port=7788
}

on ServerL211 {
device=/dev/nb0
disk=/dev/dados/contas
address=10.0.0.2
port=7788
}
}

resource drbd1 {

protocol=C
fsckcmd=fsck -p -y

net {
sync-rate=5000
tl-size=256
timeout=60
connect-int=10
ping-int=10
}

on ServerL210 {
device=/dev/nb1
disk=/dev/dados/gestao
address=10.0.0.1
port=7789
}

on ServerL211 {
device=/dev/nb1
disk=/dev/dados/gestao
address=10.0.0.2
port=7789
}
}

> PS: You can try a sync rate up to 6MB/s. (I have never tested if it
> really
> reaches that speed, it could work in theroy)

Each time I use two drbd ressources I got very low speeds in writing in the
partitions being mirrored by drbd. I mean very very slow. And sometimes
the slave server blocks (no response art all).

Best regards
Raul
Re: Sync-rate [ In reply to ]
Hi

> Each time I use two drbd ressources I got very low speeds in writing in
> the
> partitions being mirrored by drbd. I mean very very slow. And sometimes
>
> the slave server blocks (no response art all).

I was forgetting to create the filesystems after the initialization of /dev/nb?
with the drbdsetup.
I just performed a mkfs and everything gots clean. Since these filesystems were
created before to test LVM, I didn't make it again. It was funny because the
system was working but very very slow. And sometime the slave blocked!!!
I don't know if this stupid experiences are usefull for you, but in anycase.
Thanks
Raul
Re: Sync-rate [ In reply to ]
* rto@example.com <rto@fe.up.pt> [010926 23:58]:
> Hi Philipp
>
> > I can not recomend you to allocate more that the available bandwith
> > for synchronisation.
>
> Ok, I asked because I didn't know how you use this sync-rate.
>
> > What about a second pair of NICs ?
>
> I'm already using a second pair of NICs for heartbeat and drbd
> synchronization. In each system I have eth0 for servers address and cluster
> address, eth1 connecting both servers with a crossover cable.

Ok, then I mean a third pair of NICs ?
(A second pair for DRBD)
But with todays max sync rate of 6MB/sec this is not a big gain.
As soon as DRBD can offer a sync rate of 8 or 9 it will make sense.

> > LVM should work, never tested. (Maybe we will need entries in
> > /proc/partitions), please share your experiences with us.
>
> It works, but i have the following result for drbesetup:
>
> ServerL211:/home/operador# drbdsetup /dev/nb0 show
> Lower device: 58:00 ((null))
^^^^^^^^
This is only a cosmetic error. drbdsetup searches under /dev/ vor the
name of the device. If it encounters an error, or can not find the
device node for 58:00 it should print "can not guess device name".
There seems to be a problem, since it prints (null)