Mailing List Archive

Problem with external forwards
Hi,

I've looked at the sendmail replacement that postfix provides and I think we
just need to provide an -V or a -f option. What do you guys think?

Best regards,

Eelco

On 20-02-2002 20:41, "Ryan Butler" <rbutler@adiis.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-02-20 at 13:29, Ryan Butler wrote:
>

>> This is a fundamental flaw with dbmail trying to be a mailer and a mail
>> server at the same time. Forwards should be handled by the mail server,
>> ala postfix. Read the header at the top of src/cleanup/cleanup.c in the
>> postfix distribution for a detailed explanation of why this is the case.
>
> Ugh, I should look closer, the file is src/cleanup/cleanup_message.c
>
>> This probably should really be fixed before 1.0 as it is a pretty
>> serious problem. I might investigate #2 a bit further to see if its
>> really doable, but if someone else wants to give it a try and report the
>> results that would be great too.
>>

> One other option that I thought about after sending this message,
> perhaps dbmail could just dump a postfix compatible queue file in the
> postfix queue directory that postfix would then pick up and forward on,
> this would probably be the best 1.0 solution as it would not involve
> writing a mail server or breaking postfix in a way that makes it
> non-compliant.
>

> Ryan Butler
> ADI Internet Solutions
> rbutler@adiis.net

IC&S
tel: (31) 30 23 22 878
fax: (31) 30 23 22 305
http://www.ic-s.nl - http://www.fastxs.nl
My pgpkey is @ http://www.ic-s.nl/keys/eelco.txt
Re: Problem with external forwards [ In reply to ]
My Postfix's sendmail manpage has -f:

-f sender
Set the envelope sender address. This is the address where
delivery problems are sent to, unless the message contains
an Errors-To: message header.

But doesn't have a -V. It's Postfix 20010228, distributed with Mandrake 8.1.

I figure that you propose to force the sender address to be the original
sender, and not let Postfix guess that the mail is coming from the postmaster?

Sounds like a plan...

Aaron

Re: Problem with external forwards [ In reply to ]
Man sendmail :

-V Variable Envelope Return Path. Given an envelope sender address of
the form
owner-listname@origin, each recipient user@domain receives
mail with a per-
sonalized envelope sender address.

By default, the personalized envelope sender address
is owner-list-
name+user=domain@origin. The default + and = characters are
configurable with
the default_verp_delimiters configuration parameter.

-Vxy As -V, but uses x and y as the VERP delimiter characters,
instead of the
characters specified with the default_verp_delimiters
configuration parame-
ter.

My postfix version is : 20011226

> I figure that you propose to force the sender address to be the original
> sender, and not let Postfix guess that the mail is coming from the postmaster?

Yes that's exactly what I was thinking. We just parse the Return-Path
header, if that doesn't exist we'll take the information from the From
header and force that address as sender.

Should work.. I'll look into it.

Best regards,

Eelco