Mailing List Archive

DBMail status....
Hi,

This is the first time I've posted to this list, and although I've skipped
through the archive I don't think I've managed to get the exact situation
with current development.

Can somone tell me the current status?? I may have a new installation to do
soon and I have been contemplating dbmail, although some of the post 1.0
goals are very appealing.

Firstly, Postgres support would be really nice, although I realise that it's
probably 80% personal choice and 20% wanting to integrate with existing
systems...

But secondly, I was VERY interested in the comments about authentication
outside the dbmail database.... I have 2 suggestions that perhaps have
already been discussed but mabe not.

Firstly, to use LDAP to manage accounts... the difficaulty would be handling
people who go away from the LDAP server without dbmail knowing I suppose..
how to deal with those mailboxes? I still think it's a great goal.

But also, how about using a configurable SQL statement on an external
database for verifying users?? Ultimate integration, or ultimately a mess??

--
A. James Lewis
[.A person is just about as big as the things that make them angry.]
Re: DBMail status.... [ In reply to ]
You should go and check the archives. I've been talking about LDAP
authentication for a few months now, and wrote code to do it, too.

There has been discussion about making the authentication and database code
abstacted and replaceable, and agreement that it will be a goal for the next
major release. Stay on list, there'll be lots of good stuff about this once
1.0 is stable and out the door.

Aaron