this again a sign for a badly maintained or no longer maintained?

is it better if I use another mail system?

Ralph
Re: dbmail-messageblks missing in dbmail 3.1.17 [ In reply to ]
Am 16.10.2017 um 15:56 schrieb Ralph Ballier:
> Hello,
>
> I had tried to install dbmail 3.1.17 but there are problems. I looked at
> the database and have found: there is not table named "dbmail-messageblks".
>
> The reason is, that in "dbmail-3.1.17/sql/mysql/create_tables.mysql" the
> command "CREATE dbmail-messagesblks" is missing.
>
> How is that possible? Is dbmail-messageblks no longer necessary? Or is
> this again a sign for a badly maintained or no longer maintained?
>
> is it better if I use another mail system?

nothing should access dbmail_messageblks any longer, this is from dbmail
2.x and due migration to 3.0.x the data where converted to dbmail_mimeparts

MariaDB [dbmail]> select * from dbmail_messageblks;
Empty set (0.00 sec)

Re: dbmail-messageblks missing in dbmail 3.1.17 [ In reply to ]
On 16/10/17 08:56, Ralph Ballier wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I had tried to install dbmail 3.1.17 but there are problems. I looked
> at the database and have found: there is not table named
> "dbmail-messageblks".
>
> The reason is, that in "dbmail-3.1.17/sql/mysql/create_tables.mysql"
> the command "CREATE dbmail-messagesblks" is missing.

dbmail 3.1 is not stable branch. You should be installing dbmail 3.2.

> How is that possible? Is dbmail-messageblks no longer necessary? Or is
> this again a sign for a badly maintained or no longer maintained?

On new installations dbmail 3.2 uses table dbmail_mimeparts.
The old dbmail_messageblks table is used if messages are found still
using it but you use dbmail-util -M to migrate legacy 2.2.x messageblks
to mimeparts table

> is it better if I use another mail system?
>
> Ralph

Sandino Araico S?nchez
http://sandino.net
Re: dbmail-messageblks missing in dbmail 3.1.17 [ In reply to ]
----- Nachricht von Sandino Araico Sánchez <sandino@sandino.net> ---------
  Datum: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 15:50:36 -0500
    Von: Sandino Araico Sánchez <sandino@sandino.net>
Betreff: Re: [Dbmail] dbmail-messageblks missing in dbmail 3.1.17
     An: DBMail mailinglist <dbmail@dbmail.org>, Ralph Ballier
<ballier@mail.schule.de>

> On 16/10/17 08:56, Ralph Ballier wrote:
>

> Hello,
>
> I had tried to install dbmail 3.1.17 but there are problems. I
> looked at the database and have found: there is not table named
> "dbmail-messageblks".
>
> The reason is, that in "dbmail-3.1.17/sql/mysql/create_tables.mysql"
> the command "CREATE dbmail-messagesblks" is missing.

dbmail 3.1 is not stable branch. You should be installing dbmail 3.2.

>> How is that possible? Is dbmail-messageblks no longer necessary? Or
>> is this again a sign for a badly  maintained or no longer maintained?

> On new installations dbmail 3.2 uses table dbmail_mimeparts.
> The old dbmail_messageblks table is used if messages are found still
> using it but you use dbmail-util -M to migrate legacy 2.2.x
> messageblks to mimeparts table

Hello Sandino,

thanks für your hints, to use sys dbmail 3.2 rather than dbmail 3.1.
But do you had read about problems with dbmail 3.2 and mysql 5.7?
Every INSERT does not work. I myself have tried it.

I found in git a workaround for this, but I have not tried it. I think
it is not a good idea to join the parts for a system at different
sites, if the system should run stable.

Is dbmail 3.2 really so much better than dbmail 3.1?? Also dbmail 3.2
is not further developed

Ralph
Re: dbmail-messageblks missing in dbmail 3.1.17 [ In reply to ]
On 18/10/17 05:02, Ralph Ballier wrote:

> Hello Sandino,
>
> thanks f?r your hints, to use sys dbmail 3.2 rather than dbmail 3.1.
> But do you had read about problems with dbmail 3.2 and mysql 5.7?
> Every INSERT does not work. I myself have tried it.

I have not tried dbmail with MySQL. I have used PostgreSQL for dbmail
since 2004. I could not give you any advice about MySQL but table
structure is the same; there shouldn't be any difference.

> I found in git a workaround for this, but I have not tried it.?I think
> it is not a good idea to join the parts for a system at different
> sites, if the system should run stable.
>
> Is dbmail 3.2 really so much better than dbmail 3.1??

3.1 is not developed either.

> Also dbmail 3.2 is not further developed

Mime parts deduplication is slower on inserts but you will save lots of
space, specially on corporate e-mail with lots of Cc per message.
You should be careful with headers deduplication because
dbmail_headername and dbmail_headervalue grow very fast unless you set
header_cache_readonly = yes.
Some queries using left joins take more than 1 second but I have not had
the urgency to fine tune them.
Some headers like date and message-id might use their own cache tables
to improve index searches and reduce unneeded left join cycles on
dbmail_header. Header deduplication is a good idea but date and
message-id are mostly unique so deduplication is useless on them. I have
neither had the urgency to fix this. I will send the patch to the list
if I ever need to.
Considering all these, dbmail 3.2 with PostgreSQL has been running
stable on my servers for more than a year.